NNAMDÏ - BRAT
Apr 4, 2020
The Chicago multi-instrumentalist and rapper Nnamdi Ogbonnaya has been on my radar since I heard his 2013 masterpiece "Bootie Noir". When I heard 'Flowers To My Demons' I wasn't sure how to feel. On the one hand, it's a solid acoustic track, but on the other, this album cover is kinda cringe...well anyway, the record is pretty good.

On this record, Ogbonnaya leans heavily on production and sets aside much of the rich instrumentation that made 'Bootie Noir' so brilliant. But this sonic shift is no failure, Ogbonnaya pulls off some utterly gorgeous tracks. 'Glass Casket' being a clear standout. The spacious production on this song couples well with the lonely, somewhat melancholic lyrics and vocal performance.

On 'Semantics' Nnamdi even manages to incorporate some ambient-esque production that's reminiscient of Sufjan Stevens' 'Carrie and Lowell'. That is, of course, before Nnamdi launches the song into a brilliant and cathartic fury which demonstrates that he's still a voice for the loner.

Depending on how long this self-isolation lasts, Nnamdi may become the definitive artist of our generation. To paraphrase Bane, we think isolation is our ally but Nnamdi was born in it, molded by it; and he makes this clear on every subsequent release. But he's learned long ago to confront his loneliness with self-depreciative humor and even a touch of optimism here and there.

The track Mr. Rogers-esque "It's OK" is so sentimental it's almost cheesy and I'm wondering if I would view it in the same way if we weren't living in such times of despair. But regardless, it's one of my favorite tracks that I've listened to since all this self-isolation started. It's the message we all needed right now, and Nnamdi delivers it with bombastic production. It truly is the message we all needed right now, even if it's simple.

Highlights: Flowers To My Demons, Everyone I Loved, Glass Casket, Semantics, It's OK
Apr 6, 2020
Fantastic review!
Apr 7, 2020
@MasterCrackfox Thank you! Glad you liked it! And glad to see there are some other Nnamdi fans out here.