Cake - Prolonging the Magic
Jan 10, 2019
I bought this album on CD from a thrift store in my town for 50 cents. I wasn't particularly impressed with it at the time and I'm not particularly impressed with it now. However, I've got to admit there are some catchy songs on this album. Tracks like 'Guitar' 'Sheep Go to Heaven' and 'Let Me Go' are undeniably fun songs despite their simplicity and the lack of anything particularly original or substantive in the lyrics.

On the other hand, there are many songs on this album that make laughable attempts at depth. 'You Turn the Screws' is an excellent example of this as is 'Never There'.

The theme here is that the serious songs turn out arduous and exhausting while the fun songs on this album are an effortless and joyful experience. I don't like telling bands that they shouldn't take themselves seriously or that they shouldn't try to make music with a serious message but I really wish Cake had made a better effort at blending their humor into these songs where they feigned at depth. I think it would've made the album more cohesive and it would have made those songs less tiring to listen to.
Comments