Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers
kendrick returns in bold form, and this time around he is here to focus on himself. across the themes of introspection, and not only coming to terms with your past actions, but acting to improve yourself upon those actions, kendrick will tell you that he is not in fact your savior. he quite literally discusses his struggle through his savior complex, after providing us with a series of songs exposing and dissecting his flaws and wrongdoings that make him just like us (disc 1). he also spends an entire disc of this album pushing to the listeners that the nature of the flaws that we share with him are not negative stains on our conscious, but traits that we must use to shape ourselves into better people. delivering the project as a double album works in its favor, as does their apparent backwards sequencing. providing the listener with the flaws described earlier before result in a much more powerful and fulfilling closing half. as i am interpreting it, disc 1, the big steppers, is kendrick taking the steps to acknowledge and expose some of his deeper faults and flaws. disc 2, mr morale, is kendrick using this acknowledgement to push past these negatives that weigh him down in an effort to better himself. well it certainly doesnt hold up to the instant classic nature of tpab, it comes considerably close to the quality of concept that comes with good kid, m.a.a.d city. once again, kendrick has proven his ability to lock down concepts, and put out projects with a sheen of execution, understandability, and a rewarding level of depth.
Comments