Kid Cudi - Indicud
2d ago (updated 1d ago)
I don't know if it's just because of the times we're in with Covid-19, and I'm just so mentally exhausted but this album has really grown on me. Unbelievably so in fact. First time I listened to it I just gave it pretty big 'the fuck is this?', and moved on with my life. Now coming back it's honestly a very interesting and abrasive(in a good way) take on experimental hip hop.

To begin, I think it's great to start off with the solid placements of tracks throughout the album. Not IGOR levels good, but the first track, middle and last track both serve as their own respective prologue, intermission and epilogues into the album which is pretty brilliant way of framing the album. The production is good as it usually is with Cudi, where he really managed to create some really interesting beats and specific sounds that work out for my favs of this album Just What I am, Brothers, Unfucwittable, Immortal and The Resurrection of Scott Mescudi(don't crucify me, it just goes so hard). The vocals are just about what you would expect from Cudi, lots of humming, louder than average singing, you know the works. The lyrics here are also surprisingly decent, well not compared to MOTM I and II but to his newer projects, which all translate pretty nicely to the themes of legacy, sadness and 'insanity' to a certain degree, tagged along with emotion of cathardic anger being released.

For the bad shit though I think that's the fact that some songs are flat out baddd. This is a very inconsistent record because while the most part is great, you also have some boring, filler songs thrown in there along with the awful Girls feat Too $hort, which transitions nicely into the features, which are confusing to say the least. Like they had the potential to be great, and some of them are decent, but for the most part their just extremely forgettable. Like seriously, while Brothers is pretty fantastic, I had to check twice to see A$AP ROCKY was even there. On top of that, I don't really feel much while listening to it, which is fine because that doesn't make or break an album for me really, cause I don't usually hunt for that, but compared of course to none other than MOTM it is something I miss. So yeah, overall this is a great albums with a good sense of track placement, boasting the usual great production with interesting instrumentals, good vocals and substance in the form of run time to back it all up.
Comments