AOTY 2020
TWICE - Eyes wide open
Oct 26, 2020
So a few days ago, it turned out that Irene lashed out at a stylist for 20 minutes and apparently, this wasn't the first time she had done something like this. Insider sources are claiming that she had a bitchy attitude from the beginning and now it looks like this could be the beginning of the... oh wait, wrong group.

Eyes Wide Open is Twice's first full-length album in 3 years and well, there's not much to praise when you compare it to Fancy or Feel Special. 'I Can't Stop Me' genuinely harkens back to the 80s and it's already a better TT than 'More & More', which was dated on arrival. Of course, the B-sides are hit-and-miss. You have your hits like 'Up No More' and 'Believer', 'Handle It' and 'Say Something' are welcome surprises (who doesn't love lo-fi jazz and city pop?), then you have misses like 'Go Hard' and 'Shot Clock'. 'Bring It Back' would've been good in my books, but the drop ruined it. The rest are fine, but I don't see myself coming back to them often.

While More & More has a weak title track and strong B-sides, Eyes Wide Open is the opposite. While the songs are great on their own terms, they don't really gel together as an album. I value diversity, but I also value consistency and coherence. Twice may be settling into their new image, but they're struggling to find another musical flair that makes you think 'only Twice can sing this song'. Some of the songs feel more blatantly interchangeable than usual. As an album, Eyes Wide Open is weaker than the last 3 releases, but can you find a better album that celebrates the group's 5th anniversary?

Peace and don't stop you.
Oct 26, 2020
That Red Velvet mention caught me way off guard, nice wait why am I crying again