Weezer: Part 17

Huh, this is what would happen if Van Weezer didn't disappoint me. While I thought Spring wasn't a bad EP, it felt a bit lackluster and didn't leave me with anything to say of note. This is actually surprised how much I enjoyed this. Normally, I'm really not a summer person. However, Weezer made a good EP that sounds like summer fun. "Lawn Chair" and "Blue Like Jazz" are tracks that sound like summer fun to me. "Lawn Chair" talks about laying down and relaxing, and "Blue Like Jazz" has a bright melody. The single "Records" is surprisingly fun as well. Although the chorus is lackluster in places, the rest of the song is fun. The EP somehow gets somewhat dramatic and over the top as well at certain points. A moment would like the bridge on "Cuomoville" is surprisingly dark and brooding. "What's The Good Of Being Good" and "The Opposite Of Me" is surprisingly fun and upbeat songs that also have some melodramatic moments. Finally, the closer "Thank You And Good Night" is just over the top as hell, but it really works well! It manages to be both heavy as fuck, and fun enough for the average listener.

Overall, this was a fun EP. The reminds me of a more dramatic Van Weezer, and it makes me want more metal Weezer. Sure, some of the songwriting isn't as great as some of Weezer's best material, but I think it's a fun ride overall. God, I wish this was a full album. I'm excited to see what Fall and Winter have to offer.

Score: 8.4/10