Bat For Lashes - Lost Girls
Sep 12, 2019
I can't tell you how exciting it is for me to feel this engaged with Natasha's work again. (On that note, it's been ten years since Two Suns. Can we get a vinyl reissue PLEASE. It's impossible to find for a reasonable price.) This is such a sweet, soothing listen that's just overflowing with well-done 80's nostalgia without ever sounding cheap. The theme is a bit looser than it has been on albums past, but is a worthy trade off for how instantly you can connect with these tracks.

I really don't think there is a weak song here. The opener, Kids In the Dark, may be my favorite song and sets the tone well as a straightforward synthpop banger that gets your feet wet. Feel For You may have limited substance, but the playful percussion really creates an intoxicating vibe. Vampires, the instrumental centerpiece, contains an electrifying saxophone. So Good is another relatively straightforward track that's just too infectious not to sing along. I love the sung/spoke story on Jasmine and the part where she does the backwards lyrics on Peach Sky sounds so cool.

This could have easily come out mediocre or cheesy, but Natasha approaches everything with enough class and just right amount of modernization to make this really stand out among contemporary synthpop albums. I do need to revisit her last couple of projects, but this may be second favorite from her and I anxiously await whatever her next step is.
Comments