KAYTRANADA - Bubba
Can't help but hope this is a grower, much like 99.9% was, which became one my favorite of the decade over time after an initial reaction of, "Well, that's nice, but idk if I'll come back." You'll hear complaints about the production being samey, but I honestly wouldn't want my Kay to sound like anything other than that signature wavy goodness he's come to be associated with. It's a dance record for the club and a DJ could just put it on front to back.

The thing that lacks compared to 99.9% is the feature list. Very few of these come close to even being in the same ballpark as Phonte, Craig David, or Anderson Paak did. Kali Uchis is the obvious showstopper as she gives the most powerful, memorable, and distinctive performance. If you add it to the last album it would equal 109.9%, which is quite a lot. I know people aren't always crazy about Mick Jenkins as a crooner, but I find his turn soothing and addictive. SiR's feature was also as addictive as Kay's production usually is. Try not to sing along to Go DJ. Idk who Masego is, but other than maybe a questionable higher pitch, had a fun, playful spot.

Unfortunately, most other features were bland or unmemorable. Pharrell and Kaytranada should be such an amazing linkup, but count this opportunity missed. Almost certain it was tacked on at the end because he knew it was disappointing and did not want to disrupt flow of the album. I was excited to see Estelle's name here. I remember when she delivered the phenomenal 'American Boy' all those years ago and seemingly dipped, but this feature was anonymous.

I'll probably give this the 99.9% treatment and revisit once a year or so to see if it hits different.
Comments