Mar 20, 2020
The Weeknd delivers his best project since the Trilogy. I have always been a huge fan of Abel's work, especially the Trilogy which has to be one of my favourite collections of R&B music. However he never quite got back to the heights of that project as with every project it appeared he was just becoming more and more generic and pop sounding, culminating in 2016's "Starboy" which included some great tracks but was mostly a step down from all his other projects and contained some of my personal least favourite songs from him like "Rockin". With After Hours though not only has Abel recaptured his best aspects, but he has changed them too and evolved his sound. The album starts of with several slower synthpop infused songs and stays like that until the single "Heartless" which switches the album to a more energetic pace but still keeping those lovely synths. We finally culminate in the absolutely beautiful After Hours self titled track and "Until I Bleed Out" which slow the album to it's finish which is perfectly fine. The production is easily some of Abel's best and fits his voice very well. His vocals while not surprising for a Weeknd project are still great and the atmosphere of this project is astounding. I really don't know what else to say about this project. Overall my favourite full length Weeknd project since the Trilogy!

BEST TRACKS: Scared to Live, Heartless, Faith, Blinding Lights, In Your Eyes, After Hours, Until I Bleed Out

WORST TRACKS: None