The Weeknd - In the Night
Oct 21, 2019 (updated Apr 3, 2020)
EDIT: Score went from 57 to 80

Well wow, this song has finally come to me. After the months of overplay and stuff I finally came back to it and the song is actually pretty good. I was way too harsh on this song.

Original Review:
Out of all of Abel's discography, this is the song that has aged the worst. For a long time, I would just hear this song wherever I go and that's fine since Abel's a successful artist and many of his other songs get the same treatment and I still enjoy them. The difference between those songs like The Hills and Starboy was that they were amazing songs before the overplay. The Hills is this dark masterpiece and Starboy while poppy, is still a great song that was so successful that Abel ended up copying it over and over again with Power is Power, Pray for Me and Lost in the Fire. In the Night on the other hand wasn't a phenomenal or good song in the first place at least in my opinion. I always thought it was one of the weaker songs on BBTM. On this song, Abel's vocals just sound very forced and commercial. The beat feels like that as well as it's very bland. These weaker elements of the song combined with the continued overplay have made me dislike this song a lot more than I did before. Overall a weaker song from Abel's discography.

Mar 23, 2020