Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats - UNLOCKED
Feb 7, 2020 (updated Jun 10, 2020)
Is there anyone in Rap right now that spits, so fearlessly and so confidently as Denzel? Not that i know of. I am inclined to believe it is his love for punk music that fuels his engine, to deliver a style of rap that is unforgettable and fiery. His wordplay has also remained consistent over the years, he wields a double-edged sword, both lyrically and instrumentally. On this new project, he teams up with Kenny Beats, one of the most versatile beat-smiths at the moment. I see this project as more of a soundtrack to the short film that was released prior, rather than an EP or an album. The short film was an excellently produced effort, with thousands of constantly shifting frames, with numerous animation styles, and an entertainingly strong narrative. Apparantly recorded in a mad 24 hour dash, the music that accompanies the film, is not Denzel's best material ever, but showcases his consistent lyricism throughout with a handful of quotables.

"Franklins on me, Los Santos,
Diamonds on me, no thanos,
Too, too smooth like Lando"
-Lay_Up.m4a

Kenny Beats, is in top form, here as well, as he flexes his production muscles, including dozens of samples similar to that of say an MF Doom or Madlib. The beats he crafts are not necessarily massive and bass heavy but are noticeably more treble and rife with many small details. I see the short film and music as one cohesive unit, everything presented is very impressive, even in its short length. However much of the project lacks a strong structure and outline, as it somewhat limits the overall experience. So, in rating this project i am also rating the film as well.
Comments
Apple
Alicia Keys - ALICIA
Alicia Keys
ALICIA
Slauson Malone - Vergangenheitsbewältigung (Crater Speak)
Slauson Malone