Aaron Frazer - Introducing...
Jan 18, 2021
Drummer/ vocalist of the band Durand Jones and the Indications Aaron Frazer has been influenced heavily by the feeling of 60s soul and Motown. On this album he is working with Producer/ member of The Black Keys Dan Auerbach. Aaron Frazer's last album he did with Durand Jones and the Implications "American Love Call", had a really nice nostalgic feel to it, but didn't really leave me hooked or interested throughout the record and after listening to this new album by Aaron Frazer four times I feel vacant inside and none of that nostalgic flows from the sixties as much as it did on the last album for me.

Now for starters I do think two tracks really stand out for me on this record, "Have Mercy" and "Done Lyin". "Have Mercy" has this really nice latino feel to it while feeling the most throwback track on the album and even the lyrics on this song feel like this very apologetic 60s love song "You see me for the one that I am when the others are blind/If you leave me, bеlieve me,I still wouldn't trеat you unkind". "Done lyin" also is a very soulful track with rising horns and one of the times I can say Aaron Frazer's high pitched vocals really work. Then there are some other tracks, "Over You" and "Can't leave it alone" just sound like unfinished funk songs that have really lacking choruses. "Girl On The Phone " is pretty much a throwaway track and "If I got it (Your Love Brought It") has some of his worst vocals on this album so far on my forth listen.

I'll also give a shoutout to "Bad News", which has very nice details like how he changes to his low falsetto on the bridge and the very nice addition of the flute. Im also feeling like the closer on this album is another dud that is pretty much just a basic soul piano ballad that does not really go anywhere for the time duration of the track.

While I don't think it is really that bad, it does not really feel original or anything that has any enthusiasm. While it does feel charismatic at some times on the album, it makes me left feeling disappointed of how generic and bland the 60s soul vibes on this album are, And with the singles and the album itself.
Comments
CARNAGE
Julien Baker - Little Oblivions
Julien Baker
Little Oblivions
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - L.W.
L.W.