Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
May 3, 2021 (updated May 3, 2021)
Many months later in the year of 1969 after their big breakout debut “Led Zeppelin”, the band had dropped their 2nd record “Led Zeppelin 2”. This had Led Zeppelin have much more success and bigger hits that are still remembered today. It is also known as a great achievement for the band making it top tier for people in their discography.

For me though, I think this is their most overrated album and I’d definitely choose its predecessor over this by a bit, but fuck Id be lying if I said that many of these songs don’t slap.

Like the track “Whole Lotta Love”, this song bangs and just sounds iconic with those nice gritty riffs, I love how the track gets much more obscure and experimental as it goes through the second half.
Kinda unexpected and surprised me when I first heard it.

“Ramble On”, has this very nice acoustic touch to it with a very catchy hook and superb bass playing from John Paul Jones again. Which is The thing I love about Led Zeppelin is that they have always had talent in their career from beginning to end.

The track “What is And What Should Never Be” is one of my favorite deep cuts from the band too.

Also I have to give credit where it’s due to John Bonham on “Moby Dick”, for playing that very passionate and off the walls drum solo. Led Zeppelin really gave him the time to show his talent in the group, fuck the live versions are even better too.

Led Zeppelin had definitely got tighter with their performances, with more structural tracks on this one and this is definitely an improvement over their first. The experimentation and diversity also had much more impact on this one too, but honestly Just really didn’t enjoy it as much.

Their are a lot of tracks that just don’t have that grip or interesting concepts behind them like “The Lemon Song”, or the goofy and very cheesily done “Living Loving Maid (She’s just a Woman”), these kinda just lose my attention after a good amount of time.

So

Is it good: Yes
Rockin Sophomore; Check
Great Riffs: Check
Greta Van Fleet impersonators: Nope
Real 100% uncut rock: 🎸
8.1/10

Best tracks: Whole Lotta Love, What is And What Should Never Be, Heartbreaker, Thank You, Ramble On, Moby Dick

Least Favorite track: Bring It On Home