Swans - Filth
Dec 5, 2019
SATISFY THE DOG...0_0

Filth is Swans's debut album and is quite different from their previous album I listened to, Soundtracks for the Blind. Now soundtracks is over two hours long, and the reason I had a slight distaste for it was the boring pointless interludes and the unneeded excessive length. Filth, however, is much much shorter. This album is only 1/4 the length of Soundtracks for the Blind, having a running time of 36 minutes and a collection of 9 tracks.

Even though this album is MUCH shorter than soundtracks, I can't help but enjoy soundtracks a bit more. While SFTB was long, it had interesting tracks and a sense of PROGRESSION. Filth does not have progression, unless you want to count a new track starting progression. Each track introduces a certain drum rhythm and guitar riff...and that's it. Lyrics do come in eventually, but even the lyrics feel like they have no progression. Michael will repeat the same lines over and over to the point where I want to chunk my headphones across the room.

Also, each tracks sounds extremely similar. And I'm not talking in the sense that each track sounds like a no wave and noise rock song. No, each track sounds like the one before it. Of course, each track has different riffs and lyrics, but not enough changes to make it feel like a new track.

Now, after bringing up some negative points with this album let me talk about a few highlights. I feel Michael's performances can be quite intense and honestly interesting, but this doesen't happen often as his performances are usually awkward.

Something else I want to bring up is the artistic merit of this album. I can appreciate, to an extent, the creative theme Swans was clearly going for. However, this album is just far too repetitive and underwhelming.

The lyrics still suffer the same as soundtracks in my opinion. The lyricism here feels cheap, random, and confusing. I'm all for cryptic lyrics, like Death Grips utilizes for example. However, these lyrics, while cryptic, aren't presented in a compelling way at all. There aren't any interesting references, rhymes, or anything. It's just pure repetition of words.

I want to say more about this album, but I can't. I feel like I've brought up the most relevant key points of this album. I would try to understand the lyrics beyond the way they're presented, but there is nothing to decipher. It's all just too substance-less to me.

Favorite Tracks: Freak, Weakling