Ween - La Cucaracha
Dec 7, 2019
Final Ween Review :)

Ween's final album in 2007 before shutting it all down, La Cucaracha. Sitting at under an hour, this album presents 13 tracks; some good, some not so good. The album starts off with a kind of Latin feeling but eventually drops the entire concept only a few tracks in.

Nothing here is really too different from other Ween albums. In a way, I have never felt so underwhelmed listening to a Ween album before. Even The Pod, which I didn't give the most positive score, was still creatively interesting with its lofi aesthetic. This hardly has anything that makes it feel like a Ween album. There is humor here, but it feels tacky and boring.

Of course, I don't dislike every track. The first three tracks are actually quite nice and feel like vintage Ween. With My Own Bare Hands is a fun rock track with over-the-top lyrics which sounds like it could've been a cut track from GodWeenSatan. Woman And is an excellent progressive rock track which presents an enthralling solo in the midst of it all. Your Party, while the vocals can be jarring, have solid instrumentals with exceptional saxophone performances. However, that's really all the true positives I have for this album. Everything else is just boring or irritating in some way.

Sweetheart and Lullaby are just fine ballads which don't make me feel much. Spiritwalker literally features Ween using autotune...and of course it's not the most pleasant. Object is an alright ballad with edgy lyrics. Shamemaker features an irritating nasal voice with really bassy guitars, which don't complement the track all too well. It does feature a nice solo in the middle, but a solo isn't enough to save a song. Learnin' To Love and The Fruit Man aren't awful, just not worth talking about.

Easily one of Ween's most uninspired works. And this makes me sad, because I genuinely love a lot of Ween's stuff. This album just makes me want to listen to The Mollusk again.

Favorite Tracks: Fiesta, Blue Balloon, Friends, Woman And Man, With My Own Bare Hands
Comments