HMLTD - West of Eden
Feb 13, 2020 (updated Feb 16, 2020)
HMLTD, whew. I had to let this one sit with me a while.

The first part of this album is insanely strong. The way that each song flows into the next and the level of pure angst, theatricality, and catchiness gripped me and took me for a journey. If the entirety of West of Eden's tracklist was as focused and brilliant as the first six songs, this would have been an easy 10/10 for me.

But then we get to "Why?". And it does have me wondering "Why?" is it there? Not that it's a horribly offensive track to my ears. It just feels out of place and slams the brakes on the momentum that was built leading up to it. "149" gets me going again with its simple, dark beauty. And then we have "Joanna", and "Where's Joanna?". These tracks really do have the world divided, man. I really like these two tracks for how insane they are, but I understand the folks that can't get into these. The direction does get a little unfocused here.

The rest of the album goes by very pleasantly (shout-out to the spooky scary "Death Drive"), and it closes pretty meaningfully. I just can't help but wish that the entire thing was as fiery as the first leg of the journey. Ah well.

Overall, West of Eden is over-the-top, stunning, and awesome - if not a bit too front-loaded.

Top tracks: Loaded, To the Door, Satan, Luella & I