Imperial Triumphant - Alphaville
Jul 31, 2020
The roaring 20's are back with a vengeance!

This album is chaotic and dismal, and I would expect nothing less from the experimental, jazzy geniuses behind Imperial Triumphant. This LP throws you in a taxi driven by a rhinoceros and drives you through a hellish dystopia. And it's pretty rad.

The one qualm I have about Alphaville is that there are a few moments in the first few tracks that feel a little bit monotone. As if there's a lack of the tension and release that Imperial Triumphant are SO good at building. Not that those tracks are all a snoozefest, no, and they still have their moments of greatness within. It's just that they don't feel AS exciting as I kind of want them to be.

Everything from "Transmission to Mercury" till the last moment tho is absolutely some of the most DYNAMIC, BOMBASTIC, BRAIN-BENDING metal I've heard this year. Honestly, they could have given me an LP that was just tracks 5 through 9 and this would have been a 10/10 record for me. It's just a few weak sections in the front half of the album that hold it back.

Listen to the title track and wait for that groove that kicks in at around 1:40 and you'll be sold too.

Top Tracks: Transmission to Mercury, Alphaville, The Greater Good, Experiment