Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Jun 8, 2021
Yeah, sorry, I don't get it.

Jubilee is quite good in parts. Its opener, Paprika, is honestly one of the better pop songs to come out of this year, although it suffers from the occasional overbearing production decisions, something the rest of this album also endures. Though there are a few more hits within the track list, many suffer from the same problems, and ultimately, Jubilee feels like one of those records that wants to be very pretty, and very grand, but is trying too hard to do so, and in the end, many of its heavier moments feel somewhat unearned, and lackluster. If I were to draw a comparison to a record from this year, think of "Ignorance" by The Weather Station, an album that feigned an image of self-worth to the point of feeling clumsy. For the most part, the vocals on the album are pretty good, but I found much of the songwriting to be only slightly above average, about slightly below the capabilities of a Lana Del Rey, or Taylor Swift. Overall, this record isn't bad, but its undeniably spotty. I see potential in it more than anything, and I hope that Japanese Breakfast hones what made this project enjoyable in parts, and comes back with something better, and generally more consistent.
Comments