Thom Yorke - ANIMA
Firstly, I had no idea that this was dropping today. I thought this was going to be a Friday release, but I was wrong on that. I didn't have much else to do though (other than sleep I guess, but that shit is for losers), so I was more than happy to give this album a listen.

This project has been quite hyped up and for good reason. He is Thom fucking Yorke after all. I mean, he's just the dude that fronts one of the most iconic and critically acclaimed band's of all time. There's always going to be a significant amount of interest. Was I excited though? Honestly, not really. Like most people, I am a huge Radiohead fan, but maybe quite controversially, I haven't been as interested in Thom himself. He just seems, I don't know, a bit boring. He probably isn't at all, but I just always get an impression like that. Whenever Jonny Greenwood works on something I am way more excited, than something Thom works on. Still, this is Thom Yorke. I can't not listen to this album, so I did. What do I think of it?

Well, I'll give him this, the album didn't actually start off that badly. I can't say I love these songs, but Traffic and Last I Heard aren't that bad either. These songs actually made me think that by the end of it all this might be a decent album. The rest of this album however feels like a bunch of previously discarded ideas thrown onto the album. First of all, the very minimal production makes me think of Radiohead's TKOL, which is easily one of their least interesting albums. Maybe Thom's other albums sound similar to TKOL (I personally don't know, but I will listen to his other releases), but usually if your target wasn't high to begin with and then the end result has a is likely in being even worse. Let's say, you're taking a test and you want to get an A. Maybe you won't get there, but because of all the effort you put in, you could get a B. AMINA is like trying to barely pass, but failing miserably. I am baffled by some of these hideous production choices. Why does it sound like Twist is sampling 15 Step??? If it is, why??? It adds nothing to the song, just filler. In the latter stages of the album from Not the News, I picked up an awful headache, which I got again, as i tried to give this album a second listen. It's not like there's anything abrasive, but it's really messing me up and hurting, which if this was actually exciting I'd give a pass, but if it wasn't for the headache I'd probably be asleep.

I am sorry, but I just could not enjoy this album whosoever. My only hope is that this is to proceed an actual Radiohead album coming soon.

Edit: raised the score from a 35 to a 40 because I felt bad and there's an alright bassline on Impossible Knots.
Jun 26, 2019
No you don't get to have opinion
Jun 26, 2019
@RakkSmells oh no. Tbf I'm usually alone on these opinions. Also, congrats on 200 followers!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
lmao
lol
Nope
Bruhhh
Jun 27, 2019
Although I don't think it's that terrible of a lesson, there are fair points to be considered here.
Jun 27, 2019
maybe you needed more sleep
Jun 27, 2019
I got a headache while listening to Unknown Pleasures, but that's probably because I had a headache in general
Jun 27, 2019
@PatrickL0419 thanks. It makes me quite uncomfortable when I have an opinion the overwhelming majority disagrees with.
Jun 27, 2019
@AlienTing in general, yes. If I'm listening to an album past midnight it usually doesn't make it sound worse though
Jun 27, 2019
@RakkSmells to clarify, there's some sounds that cause me to get headaches. Idk why, but especially when I was younger I was so sensitive to getting headaches, that I would get one every day and I even had to be taken into hospital because they thought I could have a brain tumour (I'm not even kidding). Pretty much, I guess I'm more prone to headaches
@thomasny18 Makes sense
Jun 27, 2019
Harsh. I need to sit with it more. Only got through like half before passing out. All I'll say is that if Pitchfork gives this BNM, then they need to go back to The Eraser, which is better than like half of Radiohead's albums, and give that like a 9.
@TheBravesDH they gave it Best New Music
Jun 29, 2019
Your points are valid sir.
Jun 30, 2019
Great review dude. You saying you have '3 or 4 good reviews' is aging badly, because your crushing it recently. Love this so much.
Jun 30, 2019
@PipePanic thanks! But I think I need to also put an edit at the start of this because I'm feeling more of a 50, rather than a 40 after listening to this album like 6 or 7 times
Jun 30, 2019
you didn't really need to raise up the score imo, but still a solid review nonetheless.
Jul 1, 2019
@RakkSmells I know. I'm talking about his first solo album they snubbed back in the day and gave a 6.6 to. I find it to be his most engaging solo work and more interesting than many Radiohead releases.
Jul 1, 2019