There are two types of people: ones who think the best r&b singers are caught up in assault scandals, and ones who listen to Blood Orange (+ others).

I would say that knowing that this was a mixtape less than a year after his last album, my expectations weren't exceptionally high. Just something to keep fans, such as myself, satisfied until he drops his next album. Dev Hynes does just that here on Angel's Pulse, so I'm happy. I'd say these for the most part sound like leftovers off Negro Swan, but even then the quality is there. I'd even say there's a few tracks that do reach that high quality of that album, such as Benzo, Gold Teeth and Take It Back. I would say that while this sounds similar to Negro Swan, as being a mixtape it let's Dev experiment a bit. Whether it'll be with some very short tracks working as parts of the larger picture, or by having features that I wouldn't have expected, such as Arca, Toro y Moi, and Joba. Another thing I need to get out here is his fucking voice is amazing. I know that's obvious, but I feel it's a must to at least give some credit towards his singing ability.

Definitely don't miss out on this mixtape, but also don't think it's going to be a masterpiece, then you'll be set for a pleasant listen.
Comments