Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Oct 30, 2018 (updated Nov 29, 2018)
It's like if Daughters made a bargain bin equivalent of "The Downward Spiral" B-Sides. This record is great musically and artistically like Iredencense from Brockhampton...but like Iredencense this record really lacks anything organic or an identity of it's own. Yeah, it sounds like MC Ride produced it or Swan sped up but what makes Daughters....Daughters? Not to mention I could listen to these other artists and gave a better overall experience. I feel like I've heard these sounds on other records. The opener to this record flat out has a similar build up to "Mr. Self Destruct" I have yet to see anyone differentiate these heavy comparisons to other artists and tell me what makes this album unique on its own. If I'm missing something then please tell me, I want to know! I get the feeling theres something buried here and I want to love it with every fiber in my body! For the time being I heavily admire the talent but theres little substance in the identity department for me.

Edit: opener gets better but the rest......it just keeps getting worse
Oct 30, 2018
i totally understand where you're coming from, and it's a very valid point. for me what makes this album unique is the sheer atmosphere of it, no album gave me that sort of cold feeling of terror. but atmospheres are a very clear hit or miss for everyoe so i totally understand why it doesn't feel as original to you.
Oct 30, 2018
Hard agree in some respects. I think the atmosphere is absolutely killer here! My gripe (again) is that it's rooted in the bands mentioned prior. Youre absolutely right, Atmosphere is hit or miss and completely subjective so I'm not going to act like my opinion is end all be all. But it really does feel like something out of To Be Kind or Bottomless Pit at times, let alone it's own thing.
Oct 30, 2018
i just listened to To Be Kind for the first time and while i do see how songs off YWGWYW could fit there, but (to me at least) it feels totally different than what Daughters are trying to give you. it does take a lot of elements from that album but it gives it this added layer of twist that makes the album for me. i can't say for all the other artists and albums since i haven't listened to them yet so maybe if i did i'd have more insight, i don't know.
Oct 30, 2018
I'm gonna have to disagree about Iridescence because I do see that as an album that only Brockhampton can make, but I agree with your big idea that this album doesn't have too much of an identity of its own.
Oct 31, 2018
Lyrics? Yes. Musicianship? Ehhhhh.....I dunno. That's just me though. It's not terrible (5 is still alright imo) was kinda waiting for that tbh and I deserve it in all due respect
Oct 31, 2018
@amw100 (aawin) Totally! I'd hate to call Daughters a rip off because they aren't by any means! I just personally think they have a hard time differentiating themselves sometimes on the album...sometimes
Nov 1, 2018
I know that Iridescence had some kinda gimmicky moments but I'm pretty forgiving of that given how raw the album is emotionally. But anyway, back to this Daughters' album, I think we're hitting the same road bump. Daughters definitely bring their own twist and adds on to their influences, but the result, unfortunately, isn't something remarkably unique to me. It's kinda the opposite from Iridescence: very good musicianship throughout, but lacks emotional resonation.
Nov 4, 2018
Daughters' obviously knows the history of noise rock well, I just agree with the sense it has no identity here. Not surprised it's getting eaten up, though.
Nov 5, 2018
I wouldn't say it lacks emotion personally - I guess the subject matters aren't introspective in a conventional way like in Iridescence - the singer is unhinged but he isn't telling the audience much about himself specifically so much as he is making observations and painting grotesque images. It's hard to translate one lyrical palette between different genres and approaches. Imagine how ludicrous something like the j'ouvert hook would sound over a track on this album.
Nov 5, 2018
I do get the general point regarding this album's sound not carving out anything groundbreaking in terms of innovation - but I feel it has far ranging influences that far exceed just The Downward Spiral - Nick Cave, Lightning Bolt, Throbbing Gristle, Swans all came to my mind. The album has a sustained atmosphere but I find it to be very versatile, unlike a lot of the genre. Even just looking at the first three tracks, they are all so different from one another, structurally and compositionally.
Nov 5, 2018
I've been saying since it came out that it heavily reminds me of Consumer Revolt by Cop Shoot Cop but nobody will listen to me.
Nov 6, 2018
I hear traces of Oxbow and Rapeman as well.