Brockhampton - iridescence
Sep 13, 2018 (updated Dec 5, 2018)
The amount of urban white girls and cholas I know who think they're listening to underground trap rap has me confused on how to react.

Original score: 50
As of 12/5/18: 28

Review from albums launch week: Wow that cover is ugly. Anyways, I think everyone had their concerns with this record. From Ameer to closeted projects and now their $15,000,000 major label deal with RCA. My personal concern wasn't music however. I knew (even if Ameer was around) BH would stray from what they were known for. For the most part, the good stuff is really good but the stuff that really falls flat falls hard and sometimes I feel like I heard these sounds somewhere else. I'm losing focus because my main concern was their identity. BH always hits the right emotional spot with the idea that these were just some blokes that you could run into a mini mart. They were essentially Clerks: The band. They were trying to make it big while trying to get through life like you or me and we wanted them to hit it big. I wondered what they could turn into now that they DID make it big and while its not soulless...something is off. Something is missing. I'm not sure what it is but it just feels empty to me. Its not a bad record! Thee really good stuff is up there with the best of the SAT trilogy! On that note...it just feels so emotionally empty to me. Not to mention that the weaker tracks really are a let down and are pretty forgettable. Also, its hard to take their "hitting Travis Scott numbers" flexing when they can't even keep their merch in stock. FLAME SHIELD!
Fuckin’ Gavin going in damn
Sep 21, 2018
This band made it back when they released the first saturation
@TheAlchemist Just like the amino days 😤

@thomasuic Maybe in the inner circle of music but when I mean "make it big" I mean in the public eye. Everyone and their mom (in my experience) has at least heard of the name when just at the beginning of the year I still had to explain what they were. Sorry for my lack of clarification
Sep 21, 2018
@ThrowBackG Ah I understand what you mean. Still, I think they are aware that it's too early for this band to slack off and just make releases to sell. I think they still care about being heard (As that was their main goal as mentioned even in this record on LOOPHOLE) and they do care about the music first I can feel the creativity on this thing. You probably do agree as mentioned in your review I see where you are coming from!!
GAVIN.
Sep 21, 2018
@Thomasuic Dont sweat it, I knew what you meant and I agree. It still has a heart it just feels empty. I'm not really sure how to put it but it's better than selling out. That was a nightmare of mine when they signed to RCA, I guess what I'm trying to say is that their creativity is there and I'm glad it's their, even if I dont particularly enjoy it

@smallpeeble ABE.
Wrong "there" oof
Sep 21, 2018
You guys who bitch about RCA are really weird. Guess which well acclaimed album was released by them... that's right, Blackstar. Going more mainstream doesn't mean automatically negative. You guys should be happy that they're getting the recognition they deserved from the start.
Sep 21, 2018
Proof read your reviews, before you post them. Half of this was filled with run on sentences.
Sep 21, 2018
@Evrimen it wasn't a criticism, it was a concern I had before release. I more than happy for their success! I was just worried they'd sell out like Liz Phair.

@CLJ Oh shit! Reminder why I shouldn't write a 3AM. Thank you for pointing that out to me =_= <--- dissatisfaction with self
Sep 22, 2018
Which tracks would you consider to be “weaker”? I agree that “something about him” is pretty boring but especially with this album it felt like it flowed well and every song sounded great. I would even say that there sound changed drastically with this one. Let me know your thoughts! I’d love to hear your opinion.
Sep 22, 2018
@Eden Hey! First thing first I will give this album this: the production is top notch! It think the general flow is pretty great and everything feels nice to the ears. Abbey Road strikes again!

As for tracks I'd say my least favorites have to be New Orleans, Thug Life, Something About him and maaaaaaybe District. New Orleans lasts way too long imo and sounds just a bit too repetitive. I could say the same for District but there's something about it I oddly enjoy. Thug Life and Something-
Sep 22, 2018
-about him just sound like filler. I actually feel like skipping the tracks despite their short length. I find Thug Life rather annoying for some reason.

If you want to know my favorites they have to be J'ouvert and Weight. I love the progression along with the production mentioned earlier, especially Weight! So yeah...those are my silly subjective opinions. Thanks for asking! I'd love to hear your favorites too!
Sep 24, 2018
Best review of this album.
Sep 30, 2018
Oh snap, thank you so much!
Dec 5, 2018
w0w g4v1n 0ut th3r3 t0 tr1gg3r u5
Dec 6, 2018
I'm writing my explanation, trust me.