Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Apr 3, 2019 (updated Apr 3, 2019)
I've been pretty disgruntled the past couple of days. I was given an opportunity with this album journalists and critics dream of. I got to see Weyes Blood live on her first ever show for her new album. (Strummers in Fresno, CA. 4/1/19) It was a bar show too so the intamacy in the room was on fire. I got to go home with an early vinyl copy of Titanic Rising and I've listened to it several times since then. Every listen I've been left speechless, but that's my issue...what can I say?

I want to talk about this album because it speaks immense volume to me, but I want to be exempt from an arbitrary review with a score (in the grander scheme of things) that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'd either be repeating words said by others (better said than I ever could) or I'd be stating points that are way too subjective to help add to the record. I'd practically be talking about myself. Everytime I say to myself "Okay, time for a critical listen." I end up right where I was last listen. Overwhelmed and in tears. The world feels a little purposeless and mundane for me when this album finishes because it's that empowering and gripping during its runtime.

I'm probably testing your patience though. You aren't here to hear some depressed dork on the internet talk about his feewings, you're here to see what I have to say and why this is worth your time. I don't have anything grandiose to say but I will say this: its beauty in stillness. Soltary at times, but never truly alone. Emotional, but never heartbreaking. A timely arrival, but timeless all the same. An old soul in the modern age. If this album doesn't make sense at first give it time and patience. That doesn't mean you HAVE to like it, but the answers, prowess and beauty are all in front of you. An album never without purpose. Go in without expectations of what you want it to be and take it in for what it is. It's probably better than what you're hoping for. Let it carry you somewhere else.

I'll leave you with this bit of imagery from the concert:

It was towards the climax of 'Movies'. Natalie was in the middle of her emotional performance, but it was much more than just a "performance". She was in a completely unraveled state for the crowd to see. It was the finite things really. You could see it in her eyes. How her fingernails were sinking into the microphone cord and how the veins in her hand popped out the more emotional she got. From my angle she was shedding a tear or two. The crowd was a mixed bag. Some folks were in a trance, others dancing and many (and I mean many) were crying. Some all at once. I myself was barely keeping composure. Bare in mind I've never shed a tear at a concert, yet here I was. I'm trying to hide my face when I briefly caught eye contact with the bassist on stage. She's hugging her bass, swooning in place. She's shedding a few tears too. She gives a me a smile and an astonished look. "I know right?" is what I took from it. Afterwards, she chuckles and we wipe our tears. On to the next song....after one hell of an applause of course.
love that final paragraph
Apr 3, 2019
DAMN I can't wait to hear this
Apr 3, 2019
I let out an audible "Woah." after reading that final bit.
Apr 3, 2019
Woah, I check in real quick to look for typos and boom!!! That was fast y'all! Thank you for the kind words! It's really making my night after a long day at work 😅
Apr 3, 2019
thank you. now I'm crying.
Apr 3, 2019
and for the first time ever on this site I clicked the "share" to Facebook.
Apr 4, 2019
This is up there with the best things I've ever read, not even exaggerating.
You damn magician...
Apr 4, 2019
imma take a shot for every time I find myself enjoying your reviews WHEW
Apr 4, 2019
bro stop making good reviews
Apr 4, 2019
I've been reading these comments over and over the past few hours. I know I haven't engaged much here, but I really appreciate the kind words. I often have a hard time distinguishing humbleness and self depreciation so I tend to stay quiet with compliments. Thank you for making my day a little brighter. Please, do yourself a favor and show some love to the other reviews to this album. I feel they're more articulate and hard working than I ever could lol. You'll know what I mean
Okay
1. You've motivated me to actually go see her.
2. Holy shit that last paragraph.
3. This is probably one of my favorite reviews on the site! But I could say that for a lot of your reviews too.
Apr 5, 2019
okay this is easily one of the top 5 reviews on this site...incredible stuff man
Apr 5, 2019
you've officially made the best review on the site. congrats. I loved this review so goddamn much it hurts.
Apr 5, 2019
I had the same experience at her concert. I was a bit drunk which may have added to the experience, but I watched her pour her heart out on "Everyday" to the awe of most of the audience. The room was only about 70ish people, but they were all entranced in her voice.
Apr 5, 2019
This review just shows the crazy amount of power that music can have on people's emotions!
Apr 5, 2019
@Inglume honestly, I've wanted to write something on that subject. I just don't know how yet. Music can be (and is for me) an extension of sorts. I don't wanna get philosophical, but yeah...you know what I mean lol
Apr 6, 2019
Me likey
Apr 7, 2019
I love how personal your reviews can be. Thanks for sharing your tales of music!
Apr 8, 2019
@cruisin_t no no, thank you for reading!
Apr 15, 2019
Awesome review. I loved this album too. After reading your review, I think seeing her in an intimate venue could be magical!
Apr 15, 2019
Thank you so much! Honestly, if you want to go see her now is the best time! Venues are selling out quickly. I still think about that night everyday. It's totally worth it!
fakeplasticrose