BTS - MAP OF THE SOUL : PERSONA
Apr 15, 2019 (updated Apr 15, 2019)
*Notice*
While I do think there's a beauty in supporting artists and keeping the legitimacy of a website intact, I do believe the time and energy being used to do so (currently) is in the wrong areas. So below the review are a few links. One is the official AOTY donation page. Because giving a 0 to the album to counteract the "bots" does no service to the site in the long run. Especially towards the people who actually run the site. The second being NARF or the Native Americans Rights Fund. A non profit organization focused on protecting the rights of the natives, because yes, this is still an issue in 2019. The third is an easy list of things to do to help our planet stay clean. Because the longevity of our planet is important. And the last is the official GoFundMe for the victims of the Synagogue shooting. Yes, it's still up! After this review I plan to go back to writing about albums I actually care for so I apologize now if this isn't to my usual quality.

*Review*
So I try to avoid albums that get spammed with touted "bots" for a few reasons. Mainly because despite all the "righteous" acts of vindication to stop the flood of ratings it only adds to the problem. However, I saw a review that, despite not being an honest review in of itself, stated there weren't enough honest reviews for the album in question. Well okay then, challenge accepted.

While the intro "Persona" leads up to a lot of anticipation, like any record featuring Halsey, the album takes a nose dive soon after. Unable to match the grooviness of their Idol based contemporaries like 4(x) or Lyrical School (not to mention missing the foreign authenticity of something like, say, last year's Canadian Cœur de Pirate) BTS releases one of the most discombobulated and cliched releases of the year. Littered with muddled song writing and identity issues, "Map of the Soul" becomes more of a product than a realized art project. It's materialistic centered idolatry may just be the grossest thing about it, if you can get past the singers LITERALLY cutting each other off for the spotlight that is. An EP not worth the investment of mulling over. It's the yè-yè movement all over again, though with far less compitance.

* Links *

Aoty Donation Page:

Native Americans Rights Fund:

5 Easy Ways to love Our Planet:

GoFundMe:
Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for this. With today’s news, I was feeling very disillusioned about this site and it’s internal drama. I am happy that you gave me recourses to help and regain some necessary perspective. Sending good vibes to everyone!
Apr 15, 2019
I kid you not I just saw this after sending a comment to your Robyn review, haha perfect timing I guess. Anyhow, thank you! Honestly I was feeling mixed about posting something semi political so I'm glad you were able to gain something out of this. You got me thinking about the quote on quote "bots" now so thank you for that too! Positive vibes to you too!
Apr 15, 2019
This is absolutely why you’re my favorite reviewer on this site.
What did I do to be deserving of your kindness ; _ ;
Apr 15, 2019
Post good reviews lol, it’s pretty simple
Apr 15, 2019
thank you. also, I blame Halsey.
Apr 15, 2019
@cosmilk Like Weyes Blood sings "I just lay down and CRYYYY"

@JohnLouisHoward I feel like Halsey is to blame for everything tbh.
Apr 16, 2019
Hi! I just want to thank you for this honest review. I get what you’re trying to say, about how the whole “Map of the Soul” looks as if it’s just a product, but i think it isn’t. I’m not gonna say i’m right or i’m wrong or things like that, but i just want to say that their songs are connected to their BU, Bangtan Universe, which is an alternative universe that is connected to their albums/songs. Again, thank you for this review, i do hope it changes your mind just a little, maybe not.
Apr 16, 2019
Hey, thank you for reading! Honestly, while I do find the concept of the BU interesting now that you mention it, it just doesn't do much for me personally. I guess I just have a hard time with this style of music. Aka dance pop, even if it's not purely of that style. It does give me something to think about though so thank you, even if we agree to disagree ✌
Apr 16, 2019
Amidst the storm, your reviews fill me with life man. Like literally you picked the right spot to raise awareness for events we wouldn't have taken notice of otherwise. Also ᶜˡᶦᵐᵃᵗᵉ ᶜʰᵃⁿᵍᵉ ʷᶦˡˡ ᶦⁿᵉᵛᶦᵗᵃᵇˡʸ ᵃᶜᵗ ᵒᵘᵗ ᵃˢ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵃʳᵇᶦⁿᵍᵉʳ ᵒᶠ ᵈᵒᵒᵐ ᵃⁿᵈ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵉⁿᵒᵘᵍʰ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ˢᵉᵉᵐ ᵗᵒ ᵍᶦᵛᵉ ᵃ ᶜʳᵃᵖ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ᶦᵗ ᵐᵃᵈ ᵖʳᵒᵖˢ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗᵒᵒ
Apr 16, 2019
Glad to hear you were able to get something out of this, thank you for getting back to me! Again, it feels a little weird to have this in a music review, but it feels weird to put my energy into a preppy idol band when there's other things in need of awareness. (Also...sadly yes. I plan to write something around those lines actually. Hopefully we still have the time and initiative to act on it. It breaks my heart every day....I love my planet dearly...)
Apr 16, 2019
I love you; and your reviews
No no no, I love YOU and YOUR reviews
Apr 16, 2019
Way to use your platform for something really important!
Apr 17, 2019
Thank you for raising awareness about these important issues. Just want to add that BTS and their fans have been supporting UNICEF's End Violence campaign to protect children and teens worldwide from violence. If you'd rather not give money through BTS sales, you can donate directly to UNICEF at: https://www.unicef.org/end-violence

BTS fans worldwide have also been organizing their own charity projects, volunteering and donating to various causes led by fan groups like OneInAnARMY on Twitter.
Just saw this, thank you again for using your efforts towards a more inclusive and positive community.
peachym0chi