Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges
Apr 4, 2019 (updated Apr 4, 2019)
Getting me to cry to music is one thing, getting me to feel intimidated by music is another. I don't think I've ever felt imposed by a piece of music up until now. It was around 1AM when I put this album on for the first time. I was waiting for the album to start when I heard a ghastly sound behind me and, all though it was minimal, it triggered my instincts. Like a wave, I felt goosebumps pop from my shoulders to my legs. Hair standing on end, I got out of my sheets and I checked my parameters until I realized it was just Colin Stetson playing his opener to my headphones. On 'New History Warfare Vol. 2' Colin Stetson creates a stark and beautifully produced album. A woven work of spoken word, jazz, ambient and minimalism. Several listen later and it still manages to seep under my skin. It's like swimming in a murky lake with some massive creature circling around you juuuuuuust under the surface. It's 14 Petrifyingly subtle tracks that feel more like an experience than they do as an album going track by track to arouse the listener's attention span. You gotta love the ambition at the very least!
Comments