Xiu Xiu - A Promise
【In a Panic 1】with @pipepanic

Woah that was a crazy intro but when does the music start? Oh it just sounds like this for 40 minutes? Ok.

This is a very predictable HoT TaKE OOOOH!!! I can't relate to the majority so I'm going to make that a part of my personality and bring it up whenever fans of the album are talking about how much the album means to them.

No but it's not surprising that all that I didn't get anything out of this. The 2018 album I heard "Girl with Basket of Fruit" is, and I quote (from myself), "Really quite shit." But in this album's defense it's not as... annoying as Basket. There's more of an emotional core to it, it has more of a vision then just screaming upsetting imagry. It's just that listening to the project...yeah I feel nothing. Which isn't suprising I'm known for being an emotionless husk. The last time I felt sad listening to an album was when Daniel Johnston died in 2019. Point is, I'm a bastard.

But removing the sorrow of this albums creation... Yeah this just sounds bad doesn't it? I don't understand how you could listen to this whimpering voice cover of "Fast Car" and not just laugh this album off. A lot of the reviews talk about how great the lyrics are, that would be a great thing to know because you just can not hear them. They are so quiet constantly and under this wall of fuzz that they basically blend in with this wall of sound.

It's a rare thing where I can just say "this project sounds bad. They didn't do a good job of making good choices." Like how on "Blacks" everything just sounds like a clanging bell and it make the entire song just feel seasick. Or "20,000 Deaths" where the bleeps and ambience sound so incredibly cheap. Like it was made using midi loops or something. It's really hard to take this album seriously or give it critical thought when I'm confronted with the fact that the album, just sounds really really bad.
😔
L
Jan 24, 2021
I will be the worst lets GOOOOO
Jan 25, 2021