Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
Jun 28, 2019 (updated Jun 28, 2019)
I seriously don't try to be contrarian. I don't set out to listen to an album everyone loves/hates and go "Ha HA! Now this will piss off the MASSES! THEY WILL BE OUTRAGED by my ACT OF REJECTION of their MUSICAL NORMS!" I'm certain that everybody here has a perfectly logical and valid reason why this is their AOTY. But this.....what is this? WHY?

Ignoring how I think this production doesn't work at all with it being either completely lost in the song or distractingly loud. Ignoring how the samples this time are just plain ugly to listen to. Ignoring how damn boring so much of it is (I've heard worse album that we're still MORE fun.) Ignoring how uninteresting Freddie Gibbs is that when I heard the first song he was a featured artist and the "real" rapper would come in soon. Ignoring how it JUST PLAIN HURTS TO LISTEN TO! What makes this the AOTY?

All the reviews are talking about how it "lives up to the hype!" or "Just plain great!" Why? What do you see in this? I've seen kids with bedroom microphones rapping over type beats that kept my interest and sounded better musically then this.

Am I bitter? I sound bitter. I just feel like I'm staring outside in the cold, staring inside to a party where everyone is having fun. Like I could just walk away, not give this a rating, not look like an asshole. But I just HATE THIS.

FUCK! Maybe I just have shitty ears. Looking back at this and me saying "uhhhh I can't hear the production!!!" Like that can't be true. You would have all pointed that out. Maybe I should just get my hearing checked or something.

EDIT: if you want a better review of my position @timelybentl 's review puts my thoughts into words better than I could.
Jun 28, 2019
I don't have your ears, friend. I couldn't tell you.
Jun 28, 2019
@luna Yeah. I'm probably just going to delete the rating and forget I ever heard this. Doing things like this makes me unhappy as hell.
[hidden]
Jun 28, 2019
@Kengoji Ultam "One of the best Hip Hop albums of the decade" OF THE DECADE? OF THE ENTIRE DECADE! UP THERE WITH EVERYTHING KENDRICK, KANYE, CLIPPING, TYLER, GODDAMN ANYBODY HAS DONE? This is insanity. Like, i've never felt so confused.
Jun 28, 2019
How many times have you listened to this? Only asking because I really didn't like Bandana the first time I heard it, but now I'm on my 5th listen and it's really good.
@1 and a half
Jun 28, 2019
Yeah, I'd say give it some time, same with Piñata. Obviously, it could just be you simply don't like it though
Jun 28, 2019
@thomasny18 yeah, i'm listening to Piñata right now. If these will ever grow on me it'll take years. Like these are the only few albums to actively make me scream "shut up" at my phone.
Jun 28, 2019
@thomasny18 can you help? Is there something specific I should be looking at here? In these albums?
Jun 28, 2019
@toaster, I couldn't tell you what you should look for in an album like this if to you this truly was a 0/10. Looking at your 10/10 albums I don't understand how this could even line up as a thought in your head. I can see you clearly have a distinct taste and I respect that, but this is beyond me
Jun 28, 2019
@BradTasteMusic Same I guess. I just can't process this. Like, I SHOULD probably like it, but I don't. Can't really explain it myself.
Jun 28, 2019
toasterqueen out here pushing everyone’s buttons again

😭😭😭
Jun 28, 2019
I'm surprised you disliked this so much given your high praise for Tyler and Kanye, since I think a lot of the reason this album has been so well received on here is because it directly appeals to the fans of those kinds of artists, who are SERIOUSLY overrepresented on AOTY.
Jun 28, 2019
@braztom but this doesn't really sound like Tyler of Kanye. Their music is energetic at times and each song has its own unique flair. This is all just so similar.
Whack
Jun 28, 2019
Oh yeah I get that, I'm not saying it sounds exactly the same, just that people who like those artists usually are also big fans of basically anything Madlib does! TPAB too.

So basically, you just have "unique" taste, haha.
Jun 28, 2019
*punches you and eats your liver*
Jun 28, 2019
@JoaoSantos *rips out your small intestines and kicks you into the sun*
Jun 28, 2019
When I first heard Death Grips I HATED it. When I first heard Chance the Rappers' Acid Rap, I thought it was dumber than hell. I used to sit and ponder why anyone liked Swans or God Speed You Black Emperor. But, with each of those, when it clicked, they became some of my all time favorites. There's something about great music that, when you first hear it (unless you've listened to the right things in order, or you listen to it at the right time) you just plain don't get it and it's frustrating
Jun 28, 2019
I'm not saying you HAVE to like it or you WILL like it, just something to think about. My opinion on music as a whole is an interesting one, though. So just ignore my rant ;) Always be honest. If you rate something shitty and the community lashes, they don't get music. Your not a music critic, and we all have our guilty pleasures and shit we just plain don't like.
Jun 28, 2019
@Homer I didn't think of it like that. That's a good way of putting it.
Jun 28, 2019
Lol, I expected this. When I was listening through Bandana, I thought to myself "Yikes, Toasterqueen12 ain't gonna like this. Probably will give this like a 3" It's cool dude, you don't have to like an album you're this annoyed by. :)
Jun 28, 2019
@Inglume LMAO the fact that someone follows me closely enough to predict if I'm going to like something or not is so funny to me. Often times I can't even predict if I'M going to like it. You had the best review of this album btw. That Wizard of Oz analogy was cool as hell.
*rates The Money Store a 5/10, rates 1000 gecs a 10/10*

I will never understand your taste
There’s nothing to understand here. It’s borderline madness. It’s anarchy
@RakkSmells me neither man
thanks fr the shoutout love <3
also 100 gecs is the future of musoc whether u like it or not @rakksmells
Jun 28, 2019
Btw, whatever you do, don't feel as if you have to censor yourself for your opinions. Even in situations you might be less familiar with a certain genre, this is a site to share listening experiences. No one should feel as if AOTY is a place made to limit what users can talk about or rate. If you listened to something and you want to share your opinion, go ahead.
Jun 28, 2019
AOTY is a community more than anything else, not some professional, strict, reviewing platform. If it was, the BTS EP wouldn't be spammed with 0s, we wouldn't be calling out Chris Brown's domestic abuse, we wouldn't be giving one sentence reviews, we wouldn't rate things from the first listen. We do though, and while some of them things might not be seen as the right choice, it's all alright because we're just people doing this as a hobby, nothing more than that.
Jun 28, 2019
@thomasny18 yeah, I started this shit as a way to catalog my music i listened to. The only reason I have such a high follower number is because I made 1 big list and I started writing reviews because I though i needed to match the number.
@timelybentl I gave 1000 gecs an 8/10 so I think I'm in the cool kids club
Jun 29, 2019
Everyone's solution: just listen to it a 200 more times, you'll learn to like it
Jun 29, 2019
I respect this more than I can tell you, there have been many critically acclaimed albums I’ve disliked to this extent. I’ve always just ignored my thoughts or feigned enthusiasm as to not start controversy, u have balls man.
@pizzagrande ugandan knuckle pfp
Jun 29, 2019
@Kanye I'm not a man but I appreciate the sentiment. Also idk, this doesn't feel so much like "rebellion" to me, more like "uh oh, I'm missing something."
@Toasterqueen12 fuck you, dirty whore UwU
Jun 29, 2019
Only here to be the 40th comment.
Distractingly loud?!? Wtf
Jun 29, 2019
@Toasterqueen12 i hope you get ran over by a truck that has mini trucks inside that also ran you over leaving your intestines and organs to the vultures and insects that pass.
Jun 29, 2019
holy shit calm down joao! LMAO
Jun 29, 2019
@JoaoSantos dude, you already lost
Jun 29, 2019
You have quite the extravagant taste
Jun 29, 2019
@JoaoSantos i hope some necromancers reanimate Dom Luís I back to life so he can take the throne and order a squad of bulldozers to you house so that they may crush you and your shitty apartment.
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RIP JOÃO
Jun 29, 2019
Joao's head was chopped off by @Toasterqueen12 using a French Revolution guillotine
Jun 29, 2019
Don't ask me why I mentioned French Revolution when we're talking bout Dom Luis I and Portugal. I know my history, but I was just reminded of the French Revolution for some reason...
Also, 50th comment! Bandana > Piñata
Jun 29, 2019
@Inglume that take is so far off
@thomasny18 fight me in my Bandana review comments section
Jun 29, 2019
@Inglume A spectre is haunting AOTY — the spectre of Bandana. All the powers of old AOTY have entered into a holy alliance to Highly Rate this spectre: Brad and Kidswithguns, Inglume and Thomasny, Australian Rakk and Portuguese Joao.
Jun 29, 2019
Where is the user in opposition that has not been decried as "having shitty tastes" by its opponents in power? Where is the user that has not hurled back the stinging critiques of Bandana, against the more literite groups of users, as well as against its bandwagoners?
Jun 29, 2019
If you're gonna call Joao Portuguese and RakkSmells Australian, you might as well call me both, as I am Portuguese and Australian
Jun 29, 2019
@Inglume Also, I know you scored it a 100, but I haven't read what you said yet because I'm planning to get my Bandana review out first
@thomasny18 I thought you said you we're British
Jun 29, 2019
I was born in the UK and I live there, but I am Portuguese and Australian. I don't even have a UK passport.
Jun 29, 2019
So yeah, I guess I'm also British, but not in the legal sense, which is fucking bullshit.
60th comment too. Piñata > Bandana
Jun 29, 2019
@thomasny18 I've lived my life thinking that you were British. Then, you came out to say you're Portuguese and Australian and now I'm having a mind-fuck moment. 0_0
Jun 29, 2019
@Toasterqueen12 u know what lil bitch? I'm gonna cut your arms and legs and I'm gonna send them to your family. After that I'll show in your house wearing your skin and I'll drink all the milk. fucking virgin
Jun 29, 2019
who the fuck is Dom Luís???
Jun 29, 2019
@JoaoSantos that awkward moment when the Yank knows more about your countries history then you.
Jun 29, 2019
@JoaoSantos Joao, I'm gonna blow out your ears so hard they'll think I'm remaking Pulse Demon
Im just hear to say

Pinata > Bandana
Jun 29, 2019
@Aoaystheory if there was a way to follow you twice without having to create another account (I'm really lazy) I would
Jun 29, 2019
Haha that's awesome! I wouldn't want you to make another account though! Want all my followers to be legit!
@thomasny18 and @Toasterqueen12 , i appreciate you both and your taste <3
Jun 30, 2019
@Toasterqueen12 I see what you're talking about, I literally despised both Piñata and Bandana at first listens, but they're insane growers. Let it melt in your ears, and let it take its time.
vagina vagina baby
Jun 30, 2019
Jesus i've never seen a review with nearly 7 times the amount of comments than likes
Jul 1, 2019
Uh oh, someone has an opinion
Jul 2, 2019
hang in there, it'll all be over soon
Jul 2, 2019
@Oreox4 what do you mean by that.
Jul 2, 2019
I now officially have more comments than any other review on this sight.
Jul 2, 2019
@Toasterqueen12 than any other review? @KIDWITHGUNS and @Kingkroolisback will have something to say about that
@Toasterqueen12 clearly you haven't seen the KIDWITHGUNs Cosmogramma review
Jul 2, 2019
@InglumeSingles @thomasny18 fuck I haven't seen that one yet. I knew Brad's highest was 75, I didn't even think to check his. Well looks like I have a ways to go.
@InglumeSingles @thomasny18 alas, my hubris is showing
Jul 18, 2019
Ok so ive been meaning to ask this but on what metric do you consider being hurt by music
Jul 18, 2019
@vanchromo If my ears are strained. If it hurts to listen to it, like Tinnitus, that hurts me
oog
Sep 12, 2019
p l s
Dec 29, 2019
Holy shit this comment section is a shitshow
Dec 29, 2019
@evancool you commenting opened it back up.
Dec 29, 2019
I'm ashamed I haven't even participated
Apr 10, 2020
This comments section is the stuff of legend
Aug 11, 2020
oh my-
Aug 14, 2020
this whole comment section should be made into a movie