21 Savage & Metro Boomin - Runnin
Nov 30, 2020
I hate to break the news to you, On Savage Mode II, it isn't just 21's revived and enigmatic rap style that takes the helm, it's Metro Boomin's artistic intelligence that takes center place.

I always misunderstood Metro as someone who was simply overrated in terms of raw talent. I felt like people amped the man up for no apparent reason just because he helped invent a sound that others can do better. But the last two years have made me take a U-Turn on those thoughts.

I feel like Metro has made solid artistic progress to choose exactly what he feels will prick up a mainstream listener's ears. The drum patterns on this thing are some of the best I've ever heard in trap history, period.

They literally knock on your ears and despite the minimalism, it just works every fucking time. Runnin employs a new artistic vision, with the tasteful use of a Diana Ross sample, Morgan Freeman's storytelling, and the fucking 808s themselves, like holy shit. This is the peak of the trap beat architecture. With a good pair of headphones, the thing just hits different.

21 is one of the most improved yet unique rappers in the game with his cold-blooded yet soft-sounding style. It's the best of both worlds. He spits bars about gang violence without sounding like there's an ounce of pretentiousness in it.

He just works well with Metro's minimalist production and they work like PB and J. It's incomprehensible as to how much these two have elevated a rather lackluster genre to.
Nov 30, 2020