GFRIEND - 回: Walpurgis Night
Nov 10, 2020
Honestly, I'm a fan of well-constructed synthpop, and while I'm not big on K-Pop, I decided I'd bump this LP tonight while doing a few assignments at school.

Walpurgis Night is woven around the aesthetic of nightlife, and it delivers surprisingly well. Unlike the average K-Pop outfit, there are no corny bass drops that put me off or outright horrible rapping. Their voices harmonize well but the real highlight is this sprite clean mixing of the whole project, which strips it of almost all the pet peeves I hate K-Pop for.

There's a strong city-pop vibe to most of it, however, the nostalgia levels don't touch that of Yukika's Soul Lady, one of my favorite Asian projects of the year; but that isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's clear this was intended to be well done yet average pop music that sounds better than the stuff that's on the charts.

The album jumpstarts itself with the leap pad that is MAGO, and then the whole project follows suit. However, the central issue is that the album's quality tapers down towards the middle then kicks in with the eclectic and brilliant Crossroads.

And I'm rather skeptical about the slowdown halfway through that's simply bittersweet, but it doesn't outright ruin the album as the number of highlights on here isn't a measly sum.

The sound also starts to get a tad long in the tooth until the last three tracks which have the backbone of brilliant production, and uplifting vocal lines. While I'm incapable of assessing the lyrical quality of this album due to my inexperience with Korean, the aesthetic is nailed and it manages to be a vibrant and entertaining journey.

The outro sounds rather nostalgic even though it's an average pop song, hence it's going straight into my playlist.

But like I said, it's not too bad for a K-Pop album and the bangers on here outweigh most of the negatives so I'm pleased and delighted that I made the right choice to listen to Walpurgis Night tonight. Peace.

Best Tracks: Mago, GRWM, Wheel Of The Year, Nightdrive, and Crossroads

Worst Tracks: Apple, Labrinth.
Nov 10, 2020
it was only a matter of time before Tom enjoyed a k-pop project other than his daddy psy
Nov 10, 2020
Guess who's the koreaboo now! How the turntables.
Nov 10, 2020
@eliiscool5 There are good K-Pop projects I've always admitted to that however the mainstream bs makes me headsick
Nov 10, 2020
@Metrik_System the curse has been banished but Psy is still the undisputed goat of asian hiphop
Dec 2, 2020
This is exactly what I thought! None of the horrible cliches and is actually just a pretty good Synthpop Record!
Dec 2, 2020
@jkpyg reminds me of f(x) but a whole different genre
wainotwhy