Honey Harper - Starmaker
Mar 9, 2020 (updated 4d ago)
This came straight out of nowhere to be one of the best albums of the year.

This album is absurdly gorgeous on the surface. Songs like Suzuki Dreams are the reason I love music. It just swallows you up in layers of warm, soft, bittersweet sound. This album is so good, in fact, that I’m not even going to go into my usual tangent of, “This is real country.” It’s not worth it. This is just music on a different level.

I have never heard of Honey Harper, but after a 36 minute session of songwriting bliss, I truly feel like I understand this persons struggle on his perilous journey to find relevancy in an industry of posers and industry plants. The grounded, traditional country sound is fantastic, especially when paired with the very soft, tender delivery from Harper. A lot of the pieces that come and go throughout the album help bolster a truly unique and eclectic sound that nobody else in Nashville has tapped in decades.

This is a one of a kind album, and a true gem in the wide scope of releases this year. This will be one of my favorites at the end of the year, and one I will continue coming back to again and again. It’s pure, unadulterated musical intercourse to my ears.

Best: Suzuki Dreams, Strawberry Lite, Starmaker, Somebody Else’s Dream, Something Relative

Edit: Just realized all of these tracks start with “S”. Lol.

Edit 2: Upped to 98 from 95. Starmaker gets better seemingly with every listen. It’s unreal how good this thing is
Comments