Twenty One Pilots - Trench
Jan 28, 2020
I went into this album a bit cautious. I’ve been a huge TØP fan for years and while I had a little bias, I wanted to be fair. If it wasn’t good I didn’t want to like it simply because it was TOP but that being said, this is one of the best albums I’ve had the privilege of listening to! Vessel was my favorite TØP album and I never thought they’d make a better album but boy was I wrong! Lyrically this album really hits home, elements of family, anxiety, the lyrical story of dema, and of course the entirety of Neon Gravestones lyrics just really hit home. Also the instrumentation is GREAT. The songs are deceptively good, tracks like chlorine for example may sound like basic billboard hot rock songs top 25 CRAP, but when you listen closer they’re beautiful. In the chorus of chlorine Josh’s drums sounds GREAT, the EQ is unlike any drums I’ve heard recently and Tyler’s subtle piano is beautiful. Not to mention the second half of the song. The lyrics “Can you build my house from pieces, I’m just a chemical” make barely any sense and yet are so powerful! Not to mention the strings that come in at that part and it’s just great. And that’s only one song!! I could go on and on about this album but there’s one more thing to mention. My Blood. It was kind of a slow start with me and this song. At first I thought it was a nice bop but as time has gone on, its started to take a whole new meaning. I can’t really explain it but I love this song so much along with this album. It’s the first album that I listened to and had ZERO problems with. I find no mistakes with this album. I know my opinion isn’t popular but I don’t care. They seriously surprised me and I love it.

Favorite tracks; My Blood, Chlorine, The Hype, Leave The City, Morph