Poppy - EAT (NXT Soundtrack)
Jun 8, 2021
A surprise release from Poppy which serves as the soundtrack to NXT, which she's becoming increasingly involved in, and hey... it's pretty damn good.

'EAT' was previewed at the Grammy awards (despite performing directly after BTS lost and the ARMYs were spamming hate, she performed very well) and the studio version is just as exhilarating. It's like a messy grungy wreck of a song with some nice guitar work and a dark majestic section in the middle. It's short and doesn't overstay it's welcome. Next we have 'Say Cheese' which starts off immediately really intense with some slower vocals that seep inwards. It is very noticeable how much heavier and formless these songs are compared to 'I Disagree' which is a great album but the lines between the pop and metal sections were very clearly defined. We still have that on 'Say Cheese' with a really unexpected but welcome jazz section, however it feels a lot more unpredictable this time around.

'CUE' follows and is absolutely relentless, I can tell Poppy is meaning to shed any and all expectations of what her music should be because she continues to release projects that tackle similar genres with increasingly varied approaches. After the deluxe release of 'I Disagree' and her Christmas EP I was becoming increasingly worried for her artistic output but it seems my worries were irrational. 'CUE' has a very strong key melody which sticks in your head very easily. Next up is the hilariously titled 'Breeders' which is probably the weakest track for me but it's not bad at all and I do love the lyrics (at least what I could actually decode under the layers of screams).

As a closer we have 'Dark Dark World' which is a bit more brooding and leans more into the glitchy dark electronic sound present on 'Choke'. It feels chaotic and restrained, like a beast waiting to be released. As a whole this EP is like if you threw 'I Disagree', 'Choke' and 'Music To Scream To' into a blender with copious volumes of cocaine and set it on fire... but in a good way. Even though none of these songs are my absolute favourites in her discography it continues to show her willingness to go in directions that nobody would've guessed the creepy youtube girl would've gone in. And as an artist she's elevated herself above all of the youtube gimmicks of the past and has become an artist to pay attention to.

Favourite tracks: Say Cheese, Eat, Cue
Least favourite: Breeders
Jun 8, 2021
love this review!
Jun 9, 2021
Great review
Jun 9, 2021
@Musicnerdd @riquitrefe ty so much!