Joji - BALLADS 1
Jan 11, 2019 (updated Jun 8, 2020)
Joji's debut record is a staple of sad-boy lo-fi hip-hop, and he does a magnificent job of creating that dejected, lovesick vibe we all know and love (well maybe not all of us, but certainly me).

It's crazy to me just how many different emotions are packed into such a tight run time without ever breaking the flow or cohesion of the record as a whole. "ATTENTION", "WANTED U", "WHY AM I STILL IN LA" exhibit the saddest of all vibes on the record itself, showcasing a low point of emotional pugnacity. The moments on the album that see Joji at his most vulnerable yet powerful are "TEST DRIVE", "YEAH RIGHT", and "COME THRU". Other upbeat and proud moments on the record come at the most unintentionally surprising times, as seen on "CAN'T GET OVER YOU", "NO FUN", and "I'LL SEE YOU IN 40". There's a three track run towards the end of the album that doesn't necessarily add much of substance to the record, but still retains the somber tone of the rest of the album (I'm talking about "COME THRU", which has actually become one of my favorites here, "R.I.P.", and "XNXX”). The real standout here is "SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK", which has become one of my absolute favorite tracks not just on the album, but of all music that I've heard. It's his best instrumental, best performance, and best lyrics: a masterpiece of a perfect song.

The fact that I can always put this on makes me so happy, and it never disappoints or puts me in another state of mind. The album comes and goes in its own way, and never ceases to amaze me with its raw, emotional beauty and never-ending charisma.

Color: Red
FAV TRACKS: all of them!
LEAST FAV: n/a
TreyLikesBands's Tags
Jan 26, 2020
are you kidding me
Jan 27, 2020
@EnjoyedPluto Yeah, but i’m JUST kidding you.
Feb 4, 2020
[hidden]
Mar 1, 2020
love this take king
Dec 14, 2020
yeah sure, TEST DRIVE its him powerful music haha
wtf are you saying lol
Dec 14, 2020
@ThxC wtf are YOU saying!
Mar 1, 2021