FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
Nov 8, 2019
Amazing

Before listening to “MAGDELENE”, I went through each of FKA Twigs’ projects to have a general background of her sound and style. To say the least, I don’t really like “LP1” as much as it’s given credit for, and her first two EPs seem meandering, basic, and annoying. The only intriguing project of hers prior to this is “M3LL155X”, for its harsh production choices and bold musical structures. So, going into this record, let’s say I had low expectations.

Five years after her first record, Barnett releases the heart-wrenching, beautiful sounding, dream-like “MAGDELENE”, a closer look into the inner psyche of a woman teetering on the brink of a pure mental breakdown. This is her most personal project, laying off on the electronic soundscapes heard previously, and focussing on tighter, less abstract song structures and the importance of strong lead vocals. I would say that the biggest highlight of the album is it’s uncanny ability to transition from track to track, which definitely adds to the cohesion and execution in its overall subject matter. Also, there’s enough of a difference between tracks throughout the album that doesn’t drag down the enjoyability as a whole. All in all, “MAGDELENE” is a masterfully executed, all-encompassing, bipolar yet calm fever dream of a record that portrays the highs and lows of romantic relationships in the modern age.

Color: Green