Help Support AOTY
Charli XCX - Charli
Sep 16, 2019 (updated Sep 21, 2019)
Great

Well this came out of fucking nowhere. Charli XCX just released one of the best pop albums of 2019.

I only knew her from that one really annoying song she had back like 5 years ago or something (although it feels like yesterday). I never would’ve thought that this artist, regardless of the radio-friendly sound, would even begin to experiment as much as what appears on this record.

There’s obviously those pop undertones throughout, but the sweetest moments come at the most unexpectedly dissonant times. Even though “White Mercedes” has a super nostalgic and dreamy sound, and is my favorite, I found that I enjoyed most of the tracks here with complete happiness. “Click” as an overall song is catchy as hell (and that ending... holy shit). “Shake It” reminds me of SOPHIE’s ‘Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-insides”, with its industrial, metallic sound, coinciding with the actually fire Cupcakke verse.

Overall, I’m nearly speechless about this project. There are so many surprisingly savory moments on this record, so I would say, listen for yourself.

Color: White
FAV TRACKS: White Mercedes, Click, Shake It, I Don’t Wanna Know, Cross You Out, Thoughts, Blame It On Your Love, Silver Cross, Official, February 2017, Next Level Charli, Gone
LEAST FAV: 2099, Warm
There Existed an Addiction to Blood
Caroline Polachek - Pang
Caroline Polachek
Pang
Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost (Part 2)
Foals
Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost (Part 2)
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors