Bon Iver - i,i
Aug 9, 2019
Amazing

Bon Iver’s newest venture ‘i,i’ is more like a weird electronic fever dream compared to his more acoustic folk oriented material. This record sees Justin Vernon transform into an early career James Blake, as an electronic feeling is pasted onto each track. Although this record isn’t as delicate and precise as James Blake’s debut, which I unfortunately can’t help but compare to this, there are many ideas on here that display artistic progression and growth.

The opening interlude track ‘Yi’ is the perfect introduction to this album, with it’s weird instrumentation and almost terror-inducing feel. This feeds into a rich blend of electronic vocalizations and chamber like instrumentation on ‘iMi’, which has such an amazing melody to go along with the chord progression. In fact, many of the melodies and chord progressions on here have some sort of a wholesome feel to them, and, mixed with this off-kilter, artistic, and experimental feel, it brings a sort of clarity throughout the record. This emotional moment of clarity truly peaks at ‘Faith’. The lyrics here speak of his insecurities, and how he’s overcome them with the help of a higher power. It really is beautiful.

Overall, this record is a step in the right direction for Bon Iver, and I can’t wait to see what his next album sounds like.

Color: Grey
FAV TRACKS: Faith, iMi, We, Hey Ma, Holyfields, Sh’Diah, Jelmore, Naeem, U (Man Like), Yi
LEAST FAV: Marion