clipping. - There Existed an Addiction to Blood
Oct 9, 2019 (updated 13h ago)
Amazing
Probably the only time I’ll ever listen to a leak (sorry guys).

I’ve been a giant fan of clipping. ever since I listened to their sophomore record “CLPPNG” about two months ago, which one of my best friends turned me onto with “Story 2”. Out of my 19 tens at this point in time, that album has gained one of the spots for its brilliant blend of experimental noise hop and technical vocal inflections by Diggs. He’s one of the most talented and volatile modern rappers, in my opinion, and the crazy, outlandish production from Snipes and Hutson only adds to the exclusivity of the sound itself.

Going into this record, I obviously had high expectations. From the singles we had received, I was so ready to set myself in these noisy horror motifs. Although I wasn’t expecting another “CLPPNG”, because I think that would be hard to add on to and expand upon, what I got was something a lot more focused on concise, visceral, and enveloping traits.

There’s a lot to say about “There Existed An Addiction to Blood.” There is a bigger focus on scary imagery and metaphors that brings a sense of dread and existentialism to the overall album. The production feels a lot more subdued and calm on the majority, adding this interesting and overwhelming juxtaposition to each piece. It’s honestly one of the most terrifying and blood-curdling listening experiences I’ve had in a while.

The album, like all of their others, starts with an intro track, this one being very lo-fi and quite the unexpected mood setter. The record’s first track is the single “Nothing is Safe”, which I think is a brilliant opener. It doesn’t give too much of the sounds away, and is definitely the safest-sounding track here. The song sets up this horror motif that runs throughout. This is a great time to bring up the impeccable flow of this record. While the album has this volatile sound throughout, and is broken-up by various interludes, each track brings whole new additional feelings of terror.

The peak of this emotional terror for me is the track “Club Down”, which consists of a beat which doesn’t have a concrete rhythm, only loud, horrific, and distorted screams. Diggs tells the abstract story of a club that gets bombarded by bodies falling from the ceiling, jarring noises, and general disarray. Because of these abstract lyrics, most of the story is left up to interpretation, much like the rest of this record.

The oddball of the tracks here is obviously the closer, “Piano Burning”, and it’s just that: 18 minutes of a piano burning. The crackling of fire wood envelopes the majority of the track, yet is interspersed with the breaking of piano strings and the subsequent collapsing of the instrument. (This is quite sad for a pianist like me...) It’s actually quite relaxing and tame for the ending of such a volatile and scary record. Although there isn’t much to unpack sonically, I think it’s more significant than just being there.

On “Blood of the Fang”, the hook states the following:
“AND WHAT THAT TELL YOU BOUT DEATH?
DEATH AINT SHIT, YOU’VE GOT TO DRINK IT UP, DRINK IT UP”
I’ve been believing that this is the overall message of the album, and the significance of the final track.

Death is inevitable and unavoidable, as it happens to everybody. Even though one’s life might be as bumpy and jarring as this record, the ending is all the same for everyone. The relaxing sounds of firewood and the aforementioned collapsing of the piano signifies a peaceful death after a life of pure chaos. The most important thing is to make the most of life, and not worry too much about the dark and demented surroundings of our society. This is one of the best albums of 2019 because of this subtle but powerful statement.

Color: Black
FAV TRACKS: Club Down, Blood of the Fang, The Show, Nothing Is Safe, La Mala Ordina, Story 7, He Dead, Run for Your Life, All in Your Head, Piano Burning, Intro
LEAST FAV: n/a