Moses Sumney - græ
May 15, 2020 (updated 6d ago)
Flawless

Græ by Moses Sumney is a monumental piece of musical art. It is a piece of music - a piece of a life - no two ways about it. You will never get it out of your head, a phrase or a melody, as you walk through the uncrowded streets of your city, your street, your livelihood. The album as a whole is a masterpiece of cinematic mood.  He can do anything. He can create a scene. He can set the entire piece to an infectious hymn or a godlike prayer. He can compose a book of poems. He can mix medieval instrumentals with very modern ones, writing an exquisite horror tale of tenderness and sex between two beings. He can explore these ideas through some of the most beautiful musical passages to have ever graced my ears.

Every single song on Moses Sumney’s hour-long double album is necessary and important. The recording is intimate and immersive. The emotions and feelings on display are genuine, engaging and close-to-the-point. The sweet chorus line of “Me In 20 Years” is one of his best works yet. In fact, he's giving this record its most creative and powerful sound since his solo debut, “Aromanticism” roughly four years ago.

The reason I’m giving this album a 10/10 is very simple. It’s transcendental, timeless. I see this album as "the songs that answer your questions about the mind and the universe." I think that no matter what the listener takes away from this album, the effect will always be the same. You should look at the album as if your entire life will change forever... because it will. This album changes me. It changes my way of thinking about life. It changes the way I look at the world. It makes me want to try new things. I want to conquer Mt. Everest, but not in a cocky way. I want to do it for me, myself, and I.

Color: Green
FAV TRACKS: all of them!
LEAST FAV: n/a
TreyLikesBands's Tags
May 15, 2020
:o it’s that good!!??! wow
May 15, 2020
hot damn, i gotta listen to this now
May 19, 2020
I love how nuanced you're portraying your emotions, you should make a career out of writing hahaha
@Thenotoriousbig Thank you!
May 19, 2020
We get caught up with numbers in the internet music community. Sometimes I think we forget music is art, and occasionally art connects so strongly. This album connected with my soul too.