The Strokes - The New Abnormal
Apr 10, 2020 (updated Jul 28, 2020)
Did they just… do that?

VIDEO REVIEW: https://youtu.be/auAE2un2x0g
If you look at the comment thread on this record’s page, you can see how my ever-growing expectations for this album never ceased. Over the years, I’ve become a huge fan of The Strokes. Their unique style of indie rock is just something to behold by all fans of art. Their material is some of the most ground-breaking, inventive, and ambitious. Ever since I heard the first single from this record, “At the Door”, the waiting was ultimately painful. The following two singles were absolutely phenomenal as well. After many months of desperately sitting here, yearning for the record’s release date to come sooner, I can finally say that “The New Abnormal” is MY new normal.

It’s no surprise that this is their most ambitious record. One could easily infer that over the 9 tracks as a whole, a 45 minute run time is troubling for a couple of reasons. One, hopefully these tracks don’t exceed their limit of listenability based on long, drawn out ideas. Two, it feels very different from their past records, that have more, shorter tracks. And three, arghh I CAN’T WAIT ANYMORE!

THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM FROM THE STROKES! I connected with this so much more than my favorite of there’s “First Impressions of Earth”, and their critically-acclaimed debut. Every track on “The New Abnormal” is peak performance for the group, so much that I can’t even pick a favorite track or rank them. This record is so inspiring in its message, ambitious in its delivery, powerful in almost every single way, and, as of April 10, 2020, my album of the year. Check out my video review for an even more in-depth look at each of the tracks themselves!

Color: Red
FAV TRACKS: all of them!
LEAST FAV: n/a
TreyLikesBands's Tags
Apr 10, 2020
Best album from the band? How many times you listened to this album to get that foregone conclusion? Stop wasting everyone's time with reviews like this. Post your excitement in Instagram and leave this site for music. Thank you.
Apr 10, 2020
@Albertduluoz I have never gotten a comment like this, nor care that much. However, this site is for the respect of people's opinion's, not the denouncing of such. Stop wasting everyone's time with comments like this. Post your butt-hurt feelings on Reddit and go somewhere else. Thank you.
Apr 10, 2020
Good music? How much music have you listened to to come to that conclusion? Stop wasting everyone's time with reviews like this. Post your words into your last will and testament and drive off a cliff. Fuck you!
[hidden]
Apr 10, 2020
A TreyLikesBands review that's over one paragraph? I must be dreaming
@nug OMG! I have longer reviews that this hahaha
Apr 10, 2020
@Benjo94569 it's a joke.. I'm making fun of the commenter above me.
Apr 10, 2020
@Benjo94569 you realized that slight edge is irrelevant to what we’re talking about? Look at the old comments first
Apr 10, 2020
All the other stuff in the persons comments aside, its fair to ask if you should put this over "Is This It" when we've all had this one for less than 24 hours vs 19 years of Is This It.
Apr 10, 2020
@dearsongs I’d say this one connected with me so much more on a deeper level. I hate to say it but my video review goes a lot more in depth, so if you’re looking for more of a reason, check that out😂
@toasterqueen12 oh shit sry :/ feel stupid now
@Benjo94569 Lol, it's cool man
Apr 10, 2020
@Toasterqueen12 thanks. That guy really can't talk considering they have 2 ratings, the nerve...
Apr 11, 2020
"I’d say this one connected with me so much more on a deeper level"

Oh come on, in less than 24h ? Wait quite some time (not just repetitive listenings in few days ...). I see your video (I love the way you describe step by step your listening so I will see the other video) but you could have more talked about the lyrics, the link between tracks, the ambiance vs your personal story. That is a deeper level of connection. Not just a super melodic album (which is also fine, don't get me wrong). There is room for more to talk in deeper level ;)
Apr 11, 2020
(If I have one suggestion for your videos, try to detach from fantano or other copy of the format. The step by step is great but the introduction is very fantano'ism (or bradtaste, etc). This is good to make a character corny and attractive but the formula has been so used right now, you will not avoid a comparison with other more exposed youtubers)
Apr 12, 2020
May 26, 2020
You like music? Death.
Jun 9, 2020
Keep the good work, keep enjoying music in your own way
Jul 29, 2020
At The Door has some Song of the Year potential no question.
Jul 30, 2020