Isabella James - Climbing Mt. Zion
Jun 29, 2020
UNDA5 CHALLENGE - #11

I just want to preface my thoughts by saying that as a straight white cis male, I will never understand the hardships, pain, and grief that comes along with being LGBTQ+, non-white, or a woman. I will use my privilege to lift the voices of the unheard and spread acceptance, love, and support. That being said, let’s talk about “Climbing Mt. Zion.”

I want to get the troubles I had with this record out of the way first. The vocal delivery itself, albeit charming and quite polarizing, is very rough around the edges. Sometimes this comes as a musical twist or charm, but here it just doesn’t stick well with me. That being said, most of the instrumentals for this project are absolutely fantastic. The guitar tone on “it\’s scary being born like this” is very, very relaxing and clean, as well as the synth lines. I also have to mention “galena illinois” for being so goddamn beautiful, and solidifying my thoughts about the mixing here being quite well done.

It’s obvious that Isabella James is a great musician when it comes to playing instruments and producing, but, obviously, some people aren’t natural singers. Voice lessons are a good path, and with the use of these lessons, she could go really far.

Color: Grey
FAV TRACKS: galena illinois, it\’s scary being born like this
LEAST FAV: hold me like a pipe, my deadname will be on my grave
TreyLikesBands's Tags