Childish Gambino - 3.15.20
Mar 22, 2020 (updated Mar 22, 2020)
Amazing

Everything seems to be falling apart worldwide right now. I don’t even feel the need to elaborate about COVID-19, but I’m just reminding you not to pick that pimple, don’t fulfill that itch, and go wash your hands right now. Stay inside as much as you can to curve the rate of infection. This shit is scary, we don’t know what’s going on, but we’ll all get through it. To go along with that, apparently, nobody knows how, or when, or why, or what this is.

Donald Glover released this surprise album in the dead of Sunday night, March 15th 2020, onto a mysterious website with nothing much of anything. Presently, as of the day after, the record has vanished from the site completely, only displaying a small, centered text box with its name. And now, it's under a new name, with different track titles, and a different song order. Weird release, man. Still the same rating and opinion from me though. You did good.

There is almost too much yet too little to say about “Donald Glover Presents”. For one, there isn’t a single way to pinpoint a genre. Usually that’s a big positive from me, and it’s no different here. I originally wanted to write up a track-by-track analysis of the record, but I feel like I could never do this album justice with that. I will say that the old album cover connected perfectly with the subject matter of the record as a whole, as it depicted mass riots and tirades of crazy people jumping out of burning buildings and beating each other up. The world is going absolutely nuts right now, and people resorting to very unorthodox and downright tone-deaf ways of coping with the circumstances. Despite its overall upbeat and carefree sound, Mr. Glover takes digs at a lot of political issues not only present in the United States, but around the world. It’s a depressing experience as a whole, although not on first listen.

So all in all, I’m confused and overjoyed towards this one. I'm very glad that it has been widely released now, and I hope, one day, this will be looked upon as a time capsule at this point in human history, March 15th 2020 (3.15.20).

Color: Brown
FAV TRACKS: all except least fav!
LEAST FAV: 32.22