Idles - Ultra Mono
Jun 20, 2020 (updated Sep 24, 2020)
Modern Chopin (or, Fantasie Impromptu)

A furosity further unseen from fervent feelings, a jumble in the jungle filled with jeers in jail, the violent village in which we all vilify veal. What does any of this mean? Well, I’m really not too sure. These are feelings that come from my listening of the new IDLES record “Ultra Mono”, the album that just proves their consistency to the closest degree.

It’s by far their most energetic, it’s by far their most potent, most hard-hitting, most powerful. It’s like a giant pink ball slamming me in the face, the very persona of a sweet hug and a stinging slap all at once. That reminds me of something… although I can’t put my finger on it.

First of all, I just want to gush about that fucking opener. “War” is absolutely one of the best songs of the year, with its warm and heavy guitar tones, absolutely electrifying energy from everyone, screaming vocals, driving progression, ecstatic build-up, dissonant horns. Everything about this song is perfect. Every single thing. This might be my song of the year, or at least it has that potential. Just… wow.

I can definitely see “Ultra Mono” as a career-defining moment for the boys. It exhibits this never-ending, godlike superhuman quality that their other albums come close to, but fail to truly capitalize on. It’s the contagious energy here that propels this record to heights previously unattainable. And I hate to say that it’s their weakest release !! because it’s quality is still fucking up there with everything else they’ve done. IDLES are going to be remembered as one of the most groundbreaking post-punk acts of all time, and “Ultra Mono” clearly solidifies that sentiment.

Color: White
FAV TRACKS: all except least fav!
LEAST FAV: A Hymn