Dominic Fike - What Could Possibly Go Wrong
Jul 31, 2020
It's apparent that Dominic Fike has nearly-mastered the craft of the sub-3 minute pop song, but what did he expand on? Well...

I've always seen Fike as an outlier, plain and simple. While his music was always *there*, it never really hit as hard as I wanted. Take his 2018 EP. While it had its moments, I don't think it proved itself to be a classic yet. Or at least, something that stuck. Now, his long-awaited debut record is here, with, the same results, unfortunately.

"What Could Possibly Go Wrong" is a good question to ask yourself when you delve into this record. There isn't much that could go wrong with his style, and that's the kicker. No musical progression, no mountain of emotion to overcome, nothing to set itself apart from the norm. Considering most of these tracks are under three minutes anyway, it's important to consider what would've happened if they weren't those lengths. It would be filler, as heard in the tracks that are actually over three minutes (i.e. "Politics & Violence" and "Florida"). Yes, most of these songs are sticky, but for me, I'd get sick of them pretty quickly. That's not to say that this record doesn't come without its good moments. The three track run of "Whats For Dinner?", "Vampire", and "Superstar Shit" is absolutely brilliant and fun. "Why" and "Double Negative (Skeleton Milkshake)" are also well-worth mentioning here.

While it's still pretty enjoyable all around, I'm left wanting so much more than I received from Dominic Fike's debut studio album. I love you man, but you gotta floor me instead of keeping me comfortable.

Color: Yellow
FAV TRACKS: Why, Superstar Shit, Double Negative (Skeleton Milkshake), Vampire, What's For Dinner?, Cancel Me, Wurli
LEAST FAV: Chicken Tenders, Come Here, 10x Stronger, Politics & Violence, Joe Blazy, Florida
TreyLikesBands's Tags