King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe
Feb 22, 2019 (updated Sep 4, 2019)
Flawless

Edit: top 10 favorite album of all time

Okay so let me explain...

When I originally was listening to all of King Gizzard's discography, I kind of set this one aside as a more experiential and thought-provoking release of theirs. Like "okay this is really cool, but they have better albums." And it has been like that ever since about an hour ago now...

I listened to the whole thing, from front to back, which, for some odd reason, I had never done before with this record. After finishing the album, I was just like "oh ok, still cool, but what the hell were the lyrics?" In a fit of confusion, I listened to the album again, this time with the lyrics, and it finally clicked with me. As soon as the ending came around, I was in awe at the instrumentation and overarching theme of the entire project. Containing three stories, this concept album really stretches the word "concept".

The first story, The Tale of the Altered Beast, is truly spectacular. A man encounters a half man/half bear hybrid, and eventually merges with it. The new beast then succumbs to insanity, then dies, then decays and absorbs into the Earth.

The second story, The Lord of Lightning vs. Balrog, is just that: a battle between these two creatures reminiscent of light and darkness. Through this battle, they destroy a town, and eventually, the Lord of Lightning zaps the Balrog into a burned corpse.

The third and final story, Han-Tyumi and the Murder of the Universe, is narrated by a cyborg in a bleak and desolate world. His only wishes are to die and to vomit (for some really weird reason). He decides to build another creature called the Soy-Protein Munt Machine; when it rejects Han-Tyumi's love, they merge and subsequently lose control. The newly-formed machine explodes and just starts expelling vomit everywhere, eventually engulfing the entire universe. This is my favorite of the stories.

The final words of this album really messed me up. For about ten minutes after the album ended, I just sat there in my bed. For this reason, I'm scared to listen to this again. I'm seriously not trying to be edgy and weird here. No album has ever done this to me. This might be my favorite album of all time, but I'll let you know if that changes (if there's an edit on here, then you know). Anyway, that's it lol.

Color: Black
FAV TRACKS: Murder of the Universe, The Lord of Lightning, Digital Black, Altered Beast IV, Life / Death, Vomit Coffin
TreyLikesBands's Tags
Mar 13, 2019
wait people don't listen to entire albums front to back?
Mar 15, 2019
whaaaaa?
Mar 16, 2019
im confused lol
Mar 18, 2019
should probably reword that part in the review lol
Apr 23, 2019