Actress - R.I.P.
Jan 20, 2021
There will be no doubt in my mind that IDM & Ambient has a significant edge over most "relaxing" music genres. With so many directions to take this quiet yet affectionate style, Actress curates several fantastic tracks over the course of almost an hour. With two already great studio records under his belt, the producer improves his craft with what could be considered his best work yet.

R.I.P. is a fairly long record that justifies its length through pretty compositions and inviting instrumentals, and in all honesty never truly becomes tiring. I am beginning to realize how much leniency I hand over to electronic music in general. Perhaps it is the fact that once an artist sticks to a theme, and the artist itself is experienced at making great pieces, as well as maintaining a strong sonical theme, it's hard to truly mess that up.

Nothing about this is really revolutionary, but that doesn't give it the right to be forgotten. It is undeniable to acknowledge how soothing the genre of IDM can truly be. Professing these simple, easing beats, akin to a warm welcome from an old friend in sonical form. And I can personally vouch for this myself. Normally I listen to maximalist music in order to occupy myself, but sometimes my brain just needs a break. That is where these genres of true relaxation come into play.

Personally I haven't heard many people include Actress into the conversations of the best producers, but I truly believe he more than earns that placement. As of 2021, with 8 projects released and all of them being fairly well received, Actress has such a strong & engaging style, how can one not acknowledge an amazing talent like this guy?

OUTSTANDING TRACK: Shadow From Tartarus
leo
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - CARNAGE
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
CARNAGE
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - L.W.
L.W.