Album Swap No. 2 with @ImpalaLT, thanks for introducing me to Deftones.

COME GET YOUR KNIIIIFE!!!

Honestly, where to start....?

The 3rd album from American alternative metal band Deftones, White Pony was released in June 2000.
It was recorded over the span of 4 months between August to December 1999 in Larrabee Sound Studios in West Hollywood & The Plant Recording Studios in California.

The band are known for their alternative metal sound, so White Pony marked a significant step in growth as they began to incorporate elements of shoegaze, post-hardcore, trip hop & post-rock.

This was a riot!
I love the genre-blending that I just mentioned as it adds something different to the Metal approach Deftones are known for, but that doesn't mean they don't shy away from incorporating their signature sound in between to deliver some ferocious headbangers riddled with dark lyricism & chilling riffs.

Chino's vocals are raw, brutal and meancing which fits perfectly with the overall sound and tone of this record. He can balance between a vibe that borders on tenderness and sinister that can rip straight through you with a menacing manner.

White Pony's title has different meanings behind it; it's can be interpreted as a reference to cocaine or a sexual dream... let yourself decide the real meaning.

Lyrically, this album has some rough themes it focuses on. Examples from this would include:

Rx Queen being focused on a guy as he feels pain watching his girlfriend slowly die in front of him through prescription drugs.

Teenager being focused on Chino falling in love for a girl who didn't return that love, which killed him inside.

Knife Party being rife with violent imagery incorporated into a relationship that's riddled with drugs and abuse.

Korea ties closely with the albums' title as Chino's lyricism here focuses on his liking of strippers and 'cocaine'.

Change (In the House of Flies) is the protagonist struggling to change and grow into a better person while facing repurcussions for past misdeeds.

Pink Maggit being the unflinchingly raw near 8min closer that ties everything together with Chino speaking about wanting to kill a piece of inner weakness that holds him back from growing as a human being.

White Pony serves as my introduction to Deftones, and it's a strong one to start with.
Raw, unflinching, heavy, tender and sinister all at once, it's a hard-hitting assault on the senses that I'm not sure if I'll return to for quite some time.

Track Ratings
9Passenger / 98
10Change (In the House of Flies) / 97
11Pink Maggit / 100
4d
Words can’t describe how much this album means to me. Fantastic review
4d
NIGHTIME, CAVITY, COME INNNNN!!!!
DOWNTOWN, PONY, WORRRK YOURRRRRR PITCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4d
Digital Bath being the lowest rated song is very interesting, why is that?
4d
glad this was your introduction to Deftones, what a master class of an album
4d
damnnn ill have to give this a listen now!
4d
Amazing review, this album is such a masterpiece
4d
@dwarftopia took a while to click with me compared to the rest
4d
Finally, someone who actually likes Elite, i always felt like it’s an underrated song