Charli XCX - how i'm feeling now
Shoutout to @Missing_Lyriks for the recommendation (4 of 4).

I've been so excited to hear this album especially considering my love for her 2019 self-titled predecessor, a hyperpop delight that showed Charli's creative boundaries were taken to the extreme.

Recorded in the span of 6 weeks during the COVID-19 lockdowns, it was conceived as a "do it yourself" project. I have to admit, this sounds pretty impressive for something put together in a short span of time.

It seems like her 2019 predecessor was only the beginning for her to show a more experimental pop / hyperpop style, because if that album wasn't already a ton of fun, this takes everything to another level and amplifies the energy along the way.

With producers like Danny L Harle, A. G. Cook & Dijon involved, there's plenty of room for this album to take so many risks. I love how hard this album can really hit in terms of it's production quality, with beats that are insanely heavy, hallucinogenic melodies and creative autotune use (which isn't often easy to execute so well in my opinion).

The opener "pink diamond" really sets a high standard for the album in terms of it's hectic beat structure that had me vibing like crazy. I also love the 2-step inspired production on "i finally understand" as well as the sharp hyperpop sounds on "c2.0" and "anthems". The closing track "visions" ends the album on a very high note with an insanely addictive dancefloor-heavy banger that I couldn't get enough of.

Lyrically, Charli touches on very timely themes like love, loneliness and boredom as well as the highs & lows of confinement, all of which are approached with a "no fucks given" kind of attitude that I love to hear, demonstrating the high-level confidence that she has as a popstar.

Her vocal performance on this album is also insane, taking full advantage with autotune but still hitting the right notes with plenty of emotion and delivering the wild punch, making for an unforgettable trip.

Packing so many creative ideas and pulling them off to near perfection, How I'm Feeling Now is a DIY project that's executed so damn well with pretty much every risk taken and it pays off so well. 37 minutes of pop music perfection right here!

Track Ratings