Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Jan 19, 2023
Album Swap with @DantorDG, thanks so much for this record because it's such an experience.

The 7th album from American experimental pop band Animal Collective was released in September 2007 and was their first album under Domino Records. It ended being the group's first charting album in the US Billboard 200 (No. 72).

It was recorded throughout January earlier that year at Wave Lab Studio in Tucson, Arizona.
The process was quite tough for the group due to it being "the first time we ran into a situation where we weren't completely satisfied with what was happening".
They feared of turning in a difficult record due to it being their first with Domino.

If there's one phrase I could start off with describing Strawberry Jam... it's a trip of all sorts.

One thing I enjoy when it comes to music as I explore it more and more is when artists are able to take risks and create something that's full of unique ideas and push them to a full advantage.
There's so many genre elements blended together here, it's flat out impressive to me how much variety and effort this record has that it's unpredictable where Animla Collective will go next with each passing track.

I love the quirky energy and psychedelic production that makes it feels so unique for a record that came out in late 2007.
The dreamy synths, the energetic drumworks, the lighthearted innocent tone of it all... it's hard to put into words how fun it was listening to this album honestly.

Psychedelic music can be quite an experience and Strawberry Jam was definitely one of the best examples of that. The fun nature on this is something I could see myself returning to for multiple re-listens.

1w
great review! Glad you enjoyed it :)
1w
This one was also given to me in an album swap. I need to hear this one