Little Simz - Drop 7
As much as I love Little Simz' music, I Ain't Feelin' this EP.

I'm all for artists for stepping out of their comfort zone to try and experiment with different genres, but it doesn't always work for everybody. It does here though, for the most part.

Little Simz still offers her signature flows which are always charismatic and on point when it comes to the level of energy; any wonder why she's a hip-hop favourite these days?

I'd also say that the production itself is versatile; Simz keeps her UK hip-hop roots with a touch of EDM added to the mix, which is cool to see but the final results just leave a lot to be desired since most of the tracks don't feel fleshed out. There's 7 tracks and it all just comes and goes with a lot less staying power than I was hoping for, which I didn't think I would say for someone of Little Simz' calibre.

There were only 3 tracks I got much impact. "Torch" has a fast beat pattern that's on par with the energy from GREY AREA. I loved the tribal influences on "SOS", which is easily my favourite on this EP and "Far Away" which is a solid jersey club-esque closer with a nice piano melody (albeit slightly overpowering) and a solid singing performance from Simz as well.

There's nothing else really to say about this, it's just a rather forgettable EP. Yes, Little Simz deserves credit for trying something new, and while her personality and flows are still great, the runtime and slightly undercooked production leaves you wanting a lot more. If she goes for this style on her next album though, I'd definitely be up for that.

Track Ratings
5I Ain’t Feelin It / 35
6Power / 35
7Far Away / 60
3w
quoting her own song to say you don’t like it is evil 😭
2w