Graeme James - The Weight of Many Winters
Jan 5, 2021 (updated Jan 13, 2021)
Wow. This is just stunningly beautiful. I’d listen to another three hours of it if I could.

The Weight of Many Winters was my very first introduction to Graeme James. And I’ve immediately fallen in love with it. This heavily atmospheric, through and through magical, vulnerable, emotional, and honest EP immediately got under my skin and made me smile, sad, touched, nostalgic, and deeply connected to every word, note, and small detail on it. I found myself just floating in Graeme’s songwriting. The way I was able to feel every little piece of this is just beyond me.

I was sincerely amazed by how perfectly put together this project is. It all makes perfect sense. Track after track, it’s like a harmony. Really well-produced harmony. And when the instrumentals feel plastic or blend (Northern Lights) something always makes up for it. James delivers one great vocal performance after another throughout the whole EP. The vocal harmonies and back vocals sound so smooth and beautiful every single time.

The Weight of Many Winters is nice and easy, simultaneously emotionally heavy. It sounds magical and unreal even though it’s actually realistic and very raw. However, you can choose how deep you want to dive in and if you’re gonna let this EP get under your skin. This record is definitely an experience.

FAVs: The Weight of Many Winters, The Voyage of the James Caird, Orpheus